It is currently Sun May 28, 2017 12:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to Terror Tortellini.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on a lot of content because you can't see it. By joining us, you will have access to these areas and other features as well. Maybe we're talking about you behind your back and you can't see it because you want to be anonymous. I get it; I really do. But come on, being a member means you can add to the conversations. What do you have to lose? Signing up is free. So give it a try and join up.

Post subject: Urban legends from your neck of the woods.
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:31 am 
Entity

What are some urban legends, ghost stories, or just plain weird happenings from your area? I already made a thread about something that's generally near me (here), but what about you all?

Report this post

Post subject: Re: Urban legends from your neck of the woods.
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:08 am 
Phantasm

I live in a pretty rural area of Wisconsin, and there are a good few stories around here, many of them surrounding the coyotes. When the coyotes come out at night, you don't really realize it. They sound a lot like fire engines when they howl and bark. The legend is that they can imitate human sounds, such as babies crying, and in this way they draw people out and devour them. Used to creep me out pretty thoroughly as a child.

A good one from my high school was an explanation for the reason it was turned from a boarding school to a day school. Nowadays, the old dormitories have been converted into the administrative wing of the school, and there's a good reason for it. There are signs posted all over the doors to the wing saying "Quiet Zone." I used to think it was because the administration needed quiet to work, but the story goes that it's for one of the girls that boarded there. She could never sleep in the dormitories, claiming that her classmates made too much noise in their sleep. Because she never slept, the girl started hallucinating and having delusions, and eventually hung herself in her room.

There's no evidence that the story is true, but told in the dark in one of the sleep-over weekends (it's a fundraiser) it's good for a chill.

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:50 pm 
Queen Orgasma

When my dad started building our house, I had just started high school (coincidentally, our property was near the high school) and a lot of my classmates started telling me about how there used to be a farm house there, and that supposedly it was previously owned by a couple who were actually brother and sister. The story goes that they had 4 kids, three of them were normal but one had down syndrome so they kept him in the crawlspace underneath the house. I thought it was bs at first, but the property is huge, a good 100 acres of woods more or less, and when I bought it from my dad, I decided to go exploring, and lo and fucking behold I found an old house smack dab in the middle of my property. So people did live here, but I doubt that they kept their mentally handicapped son underneath the house.

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:00 pm 
The Snow Witch of the Mountain Pass

amommynoose wrote:
I live in a pretty rural area of Wisconsin, and there are a good few stories around here, many of them surrounding the coyotes. When the coyotes come out at night, you don't really realize it. They sound a lot like fire engines when they howl and bark. The legend is that they can imitate human sounds, such as babies crying, and in this way they draw people out and devour them. Used to creep me out pretty thoroughly as a child.

A good one from my high school was an explanation for the reason it was turned from a boarding school to a day school. Nowadays, the old dormitories have been converted into the administrative wing of the school, and there's a good reason for it. There are signs posted all over the doors to the wing saying "Quiet Zone." I used to think it was because the administration needed quiet to work, but the story goes that it's for one of the girls that boarded there. She could never sleep in the dormitories, claiming that her classmates made too much noise in their sleep. Because she never slept, the girl started hallucinating and having delusions, and eventually hung herself in her room.

There's no evidence that the story is true, but told in the dark in one of the sleep-over weekends (it's a fundraiser) it's good for a chill.

Ohshit! You are now the 4th wisconsinite here. RP and I, and one other person. Dayum!

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:03 pm 
Entity

And here I thought Wisconsin was a made-up name for a non-existent state. Like Wyoming.

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:36 pm 
The Table Flipper

Its on par with North Zokota as far as Im concerned.

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:44 pm 
Phantasm

There's an abandoned farmhouse just past the outskirts of town. I drive by it all the damn time because it's scary as hell and ridiculously intriguing.

Anyway, supposedly somebody died in it or whatever, and kids used to sneak in there at night around Halloween and explore it or try and do a seance or something. But now there's a wirey fence around the whole estate to keep people out, and one of the neighboring farmhouses has a lady who calls the cops if she sees anyone parked outside the old house.

I want to get pictures of it and put them up here.

The house looks like the inside was all torched out or something, and it's surrounded by dead trees. Like, completely surrounded. When you go there at night, it looks like the house has disappeared into black, because you can only see the trees in the front and sides of it, and you can see the stars in the sky through the space where the house should/would be.

I know houses don't just disappear, but it's still a creepy site to behold.

Report this post

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:33 am 
Spook

I live in rural Nebraska. AKA the state that some people aren't even aware of its existence of a state. So there's not much all that interesting out here.
Anyway, at the college I go to, there's this apartment everyone calls the 'Stabbin Cabbin'. The story goes that one night while two friends were hanging out there, they decided to drop shrooms. One guy had a bad trip, and stabbed his roommate 50 times.

Not very creepy, I know. What a stupid urban le-
oh, wait. This actually fucking happened.

Report this post

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:18 pm 
Good news, everyone!

Caustic wrote:
amommynoose wrote:

Ohshit! You are now the 4th wisconsinite here. RP and I, and one other person. Dayum!

RP is me, btw.

Also, "They sound a lot like fire engines when they howl and bark."

That's really funny to me. Our husky howls whenever he hears fire trucks. Like, full on wolf howling. It's awesome. And he only does it with the firetruck siren. The ambulances and police sound different, and he doesn't do it for them.

Report this post

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:18 pm 
Phantasm

It's really weird. When I was a kid, I'd ask my mom where all the ambulances were going to. She said "Oh, that's the coyotes" and I was like HOLYSHIT the coyotes are ambulances.

Report this post

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:24 pm 
Ghost

well, here in DFW not much that I have been able to find other than the usual variations of old favorites, but back in my home town of Adams...well that's another story. We had the Bell witch, The Carrs Creek critter, the grey man on highway 41 between Guthrie and Clarksville, and then there's this old thread

.emaN yht eb dewollaH
,nevaeh ni tra hcihw ,rehtaF ruO

Report this post

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:49 pm 
It that betrays

er, something about some highway ghost that everyone sees around here. dunno what highway it's supposed to be on but i think it's either in puyallup or sumner... also the graham crunching goblin, but that's more my parents being assholes and making fun of me than a well-known urban legend

you thought you'd never shed a tear
so this must astound
it must confound you
buy a ticket for the train
hide in a suitcase if you have to
this ain't no singin in the rain
this is a twister that will destroy you

Report this post

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:27 pm 
Internal Affairs

There's a house out in Hollis that's got walls plastered in bible pages. I've been in there once, don't wanna go back.
Of course, there's Gilson road cemetery, which is conveniently right down the road from where I am. Walking distance. it's rad. Lots of paranormal activity, no urban legend really.
Country tavern has this old myth that there was a woman named Elizabeth ford and her husband came back from war after 10 months to find her pregnant. He killed her and the baby and buried them both on the grounds. Elizabeth haunts the place, which is now a restaurant. She's pretty mischievous.

Report this post

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:47 pm 
Entity

Six years ago, a group of kids dared a pre-teen to explore an abandoned well behind an ancient barn in Sabattus. The well was at the far end of a long-forgotten cemetery and it was reputed to be haunted. The boy was eager to impress his friends, however. He agreed to be lowered into the well on a rubber tire attached to a sturdy rope. His friends, giddy with excitement, lowered the boy down and down and down into the dark hole until he disappeared into the blackness.

After there was no sound from below and no movement on the rope, they hastily decided to pull their friend back up. But what they hoisted out of the well was not the young boy they knew as their friend - the lad's hair had turned pure white, his eyes were dark and wild, and he trembled with unimaginable terror. He babbled and cackled wildly and appeared to have aged decades in the few minutes down in the darkness of the well.

The boy never recovered from his madness. He is said to shriek sporadically from his padded room in the county mental institution.

We also had the first ever serial killer in the U.S., so that's a nice thing.

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:25 pm 
Butthurt

Caustic wrote:
amommynoose wrote:

I am a cheese-head at heart, though!

Thanks to Ritch and Marcus, the two wisconson boys I lived with in Penn.

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:48 pm 
Phantasm

We've got a mausoleum with a red stain that can't be washed off and never goes away (OH THE TERROR)

Other than that, we've got a house that was used in the civil war as part of the underground railroad and you can supposedly hear voices withing the house and the tunnel leading to the trainn station.

And we've got an old mill where a woman was supposedly murdered and now haunts the place. No business has succeeded at that location since her death, despite being dead center(ha, puns) of downtown.

Armthehobos wrote:
because its super easy when youre drinking beer with your ass

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:50 pm 
Entity

16bearswutIdo wrote:
Six years ago, a group of kids dared a pre-teen to explore an abandoned well behind an ancient barn in Sabattus. The well was at the far end of a long-forgotten cemetery and it was reputed to be haunted. The boy was eager to impress his friends, however. He agreed to be lowered into the well on a rubber tire attached to a sturdy rope. His friends, giddy with excitement, lowered the boy down and down and down into the dark hole until he disappeared into the blackness.

After there was no sound from below and no movement on the rope, they hastily decided to pull their friend back up. But what they hoisted out of the well was not the young boy they knew as their friend - the lad's hair had turned pure white, his eyes were dark and wild, and he trembled with unimaginable terror. He babbled and cackled wildly and appeared to have aged decades in the few minutes down in the darkness of the well.

The boy never recovered from his madness. He is said to shriek sporadically from his padded room in the county mental institution.

This sounds entirely made-up.

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:41 pm 
Butthurt

Yay, this is my specialty although I suspect you guys have heard all of the legends now.

Screw it, I'll copy/paste the notorious one.

The Witch's Eyes and Nose

There is a burn (narrow water stream) that runs through the area I live in and it often reaches several points where it has to travel through man-made concrete pipes before emerging into the open on the other side. At a certain point there are two pipes that are split by a triangular concrete divider. This looks like two big eyes with a pointy nose - hence the name 'Witch's Eyes and Nose'.

When we were kids it was something of a growing-up stage to ride your bike to the Witches Eyes and Nose and play there. We used to 'dilly-dally' along the banks of the burn - basically you spread your legs over the water and place your feet on each bank, hobbling along over the water - and many kids would go through the actual pipes.

According to parents, older brothers and sisters and all the kids who lived nearby, years and years ago a little girl had drowned in the pipe on the right hand side (the right eye) when she hit her head and fell unconscious in the shallow water. Days passed before they found her as nobody knew she had been playing down there.

There were two parts to the urban legend:

1.) If you look through the tunnel on the right hand side you will see the dark outline of the little girl still lying motionless in the water. This one was great because when you looked through the tunnel there would always be SOMETHING lying in there that took on the shape of a body. I just presume now that it was a shopping bag or something...nobody ever went in to confirm it. But there was always the shape of something.

2.) If you are a big ballsy motherfucker and you actually travel THROUGH the tunnel on the right hand side, you will wake up in bed the next morning absolutely soaked through with cold water. The water will smell like the burn water...

Now it may seem tame, like kids tales or some nonsense, but I never knew anybody who travelled through the right-hand tunnel. Not once when I was down there anyways. Nobody had the guts to do it and every time you looked through the right hand tunnel, you could always vaguely see that bulky shape lying in the water.

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:59 pm 
Entity

Vaughn wrote:

This sounds entirely made-up.

>urban legend
>made up

Report this post