It is currently Sun May 28, 2017 4:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to Terror Tortellini.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on a lot of content because you can't see it. By joining us, you will have access to these areas and other features as well. Maybe we're talking about you behind your back and you can't see it because you want to be anonymous. I get it; I really do. But come on, being a member means you can add to the conversations. What do you have to lose? Signing up is free. So give it a try and join up.

Post subject: Re: Urban legends from your neck of the woods.
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:16 pm 
Creep

Yup, born and raised in Santa Fe. Burning a giant puppet every year (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zozobra) as part of a celebration of the slaughter of natives. I'm surprised more horror writers don't come from this city.

And now it's over, there's no place to hide."
- Alice

Report this post

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 3:15 pm 
Phantasm

Well, most people tend to forget that there's even a state called New Mexico, surprisingly enough. I think one of my New Mexico history teachers had a poster about it. I'll see if I can find one.

Am I Sane?

Am I insane?

Come on, shoot faster,
Just a little bit of energy!
I wanna try something fun right now,
I guess some people call it anarchy!

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:43 am 
Spook

Old Cahaba in Alabama, really too close to where I live, is a total ghost town. The Specter in the Maze, of an innocent-yet-lynched black man named Henry Wells had a face etched into some bystanders' minds by lightning, and that face was then supernaturally carved into a courthouse outer wall, and then appeared on a window. The locals said "Holy ****" and put a big *** arrow pointing to it on the wall, so nobody visiting Cahaba could miss it.

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:53 am 
Phantasm

Steven wrote:
Yup, born and raised in Santa Fe. Burning a giant puppet every year (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zozobra) as part of a celebration of the slaughter of natives. I'm surprised more horror writers don't come from this city.

While the puppet itself is kind of spooky, I think the idea behind it is pretty neat - burning your worries.

Report this post

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:36 am 
Spook

My college campus had a few legends, such as the angel statue on the grounds that was said to flap her wings if you kissed your true love in front of her at midnight. She's also said to cry blood when a "pure virgin" graduates, however that's defined. Shame I didn't attend the graduation ceremony to test that.

We also had a beautiful dorm on campus that looks like a miniature castle and is said to be home to all sorts of ghostly activity. Supposedly, in 1947, a WWII veteran named William Carl Schaumburg living in the dorm hanged himself on the fourth floor rafters, and they say third floor residents can still hear the table he dragged across the floor to stand on prior to the hanging moving around at night. How they distinguish that from normal dorm activities, I've no idea, but maybe the fourth floor isn't occupied. I wouldn't know, since I never went inside that dorm.

I'd never heard any urban legends for my home town, so I just googled it and found this on an Angelfire ghosts site, so you know it's legit:

Quote:
Blue River -You can see a girl looking for her head almost every night. The girl was in a canoe and someone had tied fishing line across and she was going fast when she came into it cutting off her head. Anyone know where you can see this at almost everynight?

The horror.

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:53 am 
Creep

I live about 10 minutes from Purgatory. It's what's left of Capone's old house. There's some weird stuff out there. There's a little troll bridge and I've seen pics around random campfires where there appears to be a freaky face.

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:39 am 
Spook

I ended up accidentally inspiring a local urban legend.

One night, a friend and I were driving around. We were in grade 12. We lived in a very small town that was near to a few other small towns. There are about 50,000 people in the surrounding area. The point is, there's nothing to do, and we were looking for things to do. We'd given up, and decided to go back to his house.

On the way to his house, we found a group of teenaged girls. On a whim, I said "hey, Jason! Turn the headlights off, go real slow and follow them for a bit. That'll scare them!" We followed them for about a block and a half. One of them noticed, let out what looked like a scream (we couldn't hear it, being in the car and all) and they ran. We laughed, and went on our way. we ended up playing video games and smoking weed until 3 or 4 AM. That was a Friday night.

By Monday, everyone at the middle school they went to was buzzing about "the [town name] Stalker" who had tried to murder a few of the more popular students the previous Friday. By about the middle of that week, I'd heard about it, but I didn't piece together that the date and description of events lined up perfectly with the little stunt that we played. The story ended up getting so overblown that police investigated, but they never found anything. With repeated retellings, the Stalker went from being a couple of kids in a car that followed a few girls for less than 2 blocks to a child molester who chased them all over town with a knife, to a crazed cultist who was trying to catch a young girl to sacrifice to Satan or something. The hysteria got so bad that a curfew was put in place for children 13 and under. After about a year, the fear dissipated, although kids growing up around that time still remember the phenomenon.

Anyway, it was a nice little glimpse of how these things start and eventually spread.

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:33 pm 
King of Tryhards

Wow. That's pretty neat, yo

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:31 am 
Eater of Fresh Oranges

That is one hell of a story. Even if it isn't true, it is awesome.

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:24 am 
Spook

Thanks, eh? It is true, though. The only part I'm not sure on is whether people were serious about the "Satanic cult" thing. Like, I know people said the Stalker was a cultist, I just don't know how much was serious. I know they legitimately thought he was a child molester, though.

Report this post

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:14 am 
Creep

As an Ohioan, there are a good deal of urban legends around me. The Melonheads are fairly popular in the area I'm at. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melon_heads

Also, Helltown, Ohio.

The Holders Series
The Willow Mythos

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:14 am 
Creep

Interesting stories.. i feel like it's my turn to share...

In our place, pregnant women are advised to wear black clothing/dress when they sleep at night to confuse the "manananggals" (aka "wak wak", because of the sound they produced, hence the name. Supposedly monster of a woman who has the ability to cut half of its body into halves down to its waist with the upper body sprouting a bat-like wings allowing to fly across towns in search of victims especially the pregnant women). During the day, these monsters can act normal and could be just your neighbor but when they caught the smell of a preggy they'll turn out to be the flesh-eating beast at night like it's some sort of a disease.. Several people had encounter these beasts especially in rural areas but..
I have not encounter one until this one particular night when me and my mom went out to buy some stuffs to the nearest store. While walking our way home, we heard this very distinct sound like of an animal but very very strange sound and we could not figure out what kind of animal it was. So we stopped eager to hear more of the sound and it was so damn quiet in our place at night (like that time there were only 4 houses) so any sounds produced could really really be heard right away.. We decided to ignore it thinking it's just some kind of animal that we're not familiar of and walk back again until the sound really got more louder until we heard like what it was saying "wak wak wak." I swear I really heard it also my mom and we hurriedly ran back to our house like we're some retarded assuming stuffs on a quiet place but perhaps you'll do the same if you were on our situation. When we arrived home, mom refused to discuss what we had encounter to our family and several days later we found out that one of our neighbors is pregnant.

btw I live in Philippines, particularly in Cebu City.

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:21 am 
Creep

I kindof found out about this thing from friends and how everyone talks about it when the subject comes up. It's a place in NY called The Rock Crusher and it used to be a former mine for WWI I think. An explosion happened and essentially tore the place up leaving only this pyramidish thing that yes you can go inside. Too nervous to enter myself as I'd be the unlucky one to break something and get killed from how old and probably unstable it is. It's apparently haunted by ghosts who have a green glow as it has to do with what they mined.

Image of it:

Spoiler:

Report this post