It is currently Sun May 28, 2017 4:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to Terror Tortellini.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on a lot of content because you can't see it. By joining us, you will have access to these areas and other features as well. Maybe we're talking about you behind your back and you can't see it because you want to be anonymous. I get it; I really do. But come on, being a member means you can add to the conversations. What do you have to lose? Signing up is free. So give it a try and join up.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Urban legends from your neck of the woods.
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:34 am 
Cool and Spicy

I'm not sure if I've shared this one, but there's a story they used to tell around the more rural area around the larger town I live in. The rural parts have their own town name and area code and everything, but most people consider them about the same place for the most part.

Supposedly, there was a girl whose family owned property way out at the edges of what was cultivated, so their 10 acres or so just bordered mostly woods. She would play out in those woods in most of her spare time, since this apparently happened back in the 70's when there was none of that fancy internet stuff most kids do instead of good old fashioned woods walking.

Anyway, one day she got fairly deep in, more so than she usually went in routine excursions, and she saw a dog. A big black dog, like the size of a great dane even, just kind of walking around like it was totally at home, even though it didn't look particularly wild. Some people tell the story saying it had a collar, some people say it didn't. Either way, the little girl didn't like the look of the dog, and she decided it was time to leave for home before she really got lost or it got dark out.

As she was walking home, she started to feel really odd, like she was being followed. When she turned around, the dog was there, a few yards back, following her, walking on two legs like it was totally natural, just lumbering along with its eyes totally locked on to her. She naturally flips out, and starts running, at which point the dog starts RUNNING, loping along with big strides unnaturally fast trying to catch up with her. She was pretty close to home though, so she runs inside, locks the doors, and runs to her room. I guess everyone else in her family was out at the time, because she didn't really have anyone to tell about the freaky demon dog chasing her, so she just hid under her covers and tried to sleep.

I guess in most versions of the story, she wakes up at some point to see that it's really night time now, and her older sister is asleep across the room from her. As she lays there, the closet opens, and the dog walks right out still on two legs, looking creepy as fuck as it looks around, walks over to the sister, sniffs around a bit, then walks back across the room to inspect the little girl, where it ends up just sitting staring at the bed all night. The girl does nothing but sit there shitting enough bricks to break every window at the Louvre all night long, until she just turns over in the morning to see the dog gone.

No twist ending or anything, but it gave me the spooks the first time I imagined a huge dog running on its hind legs like that.

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:58 am 
Made of Glass

I like that story Ches, something about how "what the fuck" it is really works.

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:13 am 
The Table Flipper

Wasnt there a story around here about a dog that walked on 2 legs and killed it previous owner or something? Fuck man, dogs arent supposed to stand like that. The image of it gives me the creeps.

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:39 am 
Spook

Yeah, I wasn't scared when you mentioned it stood on two legs, I thought it was funny. Then I imagined it, and got to the point where it started running. I kinda fake-chuckled "heh, how would it go about doing that" although slightly deeper inside the mind I was freaked out.

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:07 am 
Ghost

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bell_Witch
and from where I am now
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Worth_Monster
http://www.ripleys.com/grandprairie/you ... ce-of-wax/
the House of Wax and Ripley's museum is supposedly haunted by the ghosts of victims of some fire that happened on that location
and then there's the railroad tracks in Albany, where supposedly the ghosts of children who died in a bush crash will push your car up hill and leave handprints. There has been at least one creepypasta derived from this urban legend

U.T. Arlington's Sigma Chi frat house stands on what used to be an orphanage that burned down, killing several children. supposedly the ghosts like to prank girls brought into the frat house

And the Lady of White rock lake
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Rock_Lake

.emaN yht eb dewollaH
,nevaeh ni tra hcihw ,rehtaF ruO

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:52 am 
Cool and Spicy

They made a half decent movie about the handprints thing.

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:42 am 
Queen Orgasma

We have some of those train tracks here, too. Same story, bus stalls on tracks, it's full of kids, they get killed by the train, and now they push your car off the tracks, yada yada.

Still, even though it's a gravity hill, the woods that are right along the tracks are creepy as fuck. Like, people mostly come to the tracks just to spend some time in the woods. Most report feeling claustrophobic while in them. I went in once, and I just felt, idk, wrong.

Also, two blocks away from the "ghost tracks" is a former "mental hospital/TB home". It was never either, it used to be the juvenile prison from '45 to '69, and according to former inmates, some real sadistic shit went down there. It's now the office for the fire marshall. The new Juvie is right next to it, though, and guards who do foot patrol at night report hearing and seeing shit on the Fire office grounds and in the woods.

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:32 am 
Spook

armaneaux wrote:
We have some of those train tracks here, too. Same story, bus stalls on tracks, it's full of kids, they get killed by the train, and now they push your car off the tracks, yada yada.

That's not scary at all! It would be all like
"Argh! My car's stalling! Oh my gawd the train is coming! AAAA wait, what's this?! My car is getting pushed by itself! Oh my gosh, handprints! Thank you ghost children! You saved the day! Have fun staying dead!"

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:10 am 
Queen Orgasma

Meh, if your car does stall on these tracks, it's your own fault for spending the good half hour it takes to actually find them. And even then your car rolls "up" the hill pretty quickly.

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:52 am 
Creep

Biggest one we've got in my little town is of the Drummer boy.

If you walk down the paths towards Easby Abbey (an Abbey that is these days almost completely deteriorated), there's a big stone along the way that if you put your head to the stone at the right time and the right conditions you can supposedly hear the sound of a drum beat going steadily along until it fades away. The legend comes from a few hundred years ago when there was a passageway leading from the Abbey to the castle underground and they sent a young boy along it with a drum to make sure he could be heard to check out the situation.

Apparently the drum beats got as far as the rock and then just suddenly faded away until they stopped. Sadly the legend stops there so no one knows why it stopped or what happened to the boy or the people who were waiting on him at the other end of the tunnel.

I've never heard the drumming myself, but there are plenty of people in Richmond who claim they have.

Oh! butterfly!

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:57 am 
Creep

There are a metric fuckload of urban legends here in my homestate.

The Hatchet Lady of Red Rocks: Supposedly if you sit in the 13th seat in the 13th row of the amphitheater, a headless woman wielding a hatchet will come from the dark and kill you. It was said that in life she pulled her shirt up over her head to appear headless and swung the hatchet at her daughter's suitors. How she actually lost her head is anyone's guess.

The Lafayette Vampire: Fodor Glava, a miner, is thought to have been a vampire. One of the stories surrounding the grave he rests in is that the stake used kill him grew into the tree right in the middle of his grave.

Gold Camp Road: Gold Camp road is supposed to be extremely haunted. If you drive into the middle of the tunnels at night and turn off your engine and wait, it's said that you'll start to hear children's laughter and little dusty handprints will appear on your car. The story goes that a bus full of children, on their way back from a field trip, was crushed as part of the tunnel collapsed. People claim the tunnel was rebuilt with their bodies in the walls, and that you can see bloodstains on the rock. There's also been reports that if you happen to be on the road alone at night, a man in a truck will start to slowly follow you. Police love to patrol near there because it's a popular place (the road itself, not the tunnels) to kill yourself/dump bodies/have parties.

There's a lot more, those are just some of the more popular ones.

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:11 am 
Made of Glass

SongofSixpence wrote:
Gold Camp Road: Gold Camp road is supposed to be extremely haunted. If you drive into the middle of the tunnels at night and turn off your engine and wait, it's said that you'll start to hear children's laughter and little dusty handprints will appear on your car. The story goes that a bus full of children, on their way back from a field trip, was crushed as part of the tunnel collapsed. People claim the tunnel was rebuilt with their bodies in the walls, and that you can see bloodstains on the rock. There's also been reports that if you happen to be on the road alone at night, a man in a truck will start to slowly follow you. Police love to patrol near there because it's a popular place (the road itself, not the tunnels) to kill yourself/dump bodies/have parties.

So that whole busload of children thing seems to be a very recurring theme.

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:44 pm 
Cool and Spicy

It was pretty common as an old wives tale, but it's been even more prevalent after that one movie came out about it.

Report this post

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:27 pm 
Spook

Our school had a pretty big playground, and there was one remote area we were not allowed to enter. According to the rumours, it was because of landmines. Another rumour that had become quite popular was that the place was haunted by the ghost of a woman, who had been killed there after trying to poison a noble woman.

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:45 pm 
Ghost

I used to live in Marietta, Georgia for a while, which is a pretty "haunted" town, as far as they go in my experience. There were a few things of note there.

First, there was this weird cemetery called Noonday, that all of the legend-trippers liked to refer to as "The Devil's Turnaround". I adventured there a few times during day and night, mostly by myself, and I never had any experiences, but there are a lot of terrible things that continue to happen, reportedly.

People always talk of volatile actions taken against wearers of Christian paraphernalia (i.e. Crosses, images of the Virgin Mary, etc.), and there's also a supposed cult that makes blood sacrifices there (I'm not sure if they say they're human or animal. It varies.)

When I went, there did seem to be a lot of group activity, and there's this infamous bamboo cross that moves around the cemetery a lot. Sometimes, it can be found upside down in this wood chip pile close to the entrance that the cultists supposedly gather at. There's also this disturbing grave close to the edge of the cemetery with a rock as a headstone that has the name, "Ed" painted onto it. I don't know of any stories behind that, but it was unsettling to say the least.

Another place in Marietta that's supposed to be extremely haunted is the Kennesaw House, located in the town square. If anyone has every heard of the famous Locomotive Chase during the Civil War, Marietta and parts of Big Shanty (which is modern day Kennesaw) is where it all went down. The Kennesaw house (now, the town museum) was a place of boarding right next to the train station. (Another fun fact: this is where General Sherman began his march to the sea)

I went there to hear tales of the hauntings, and it was kind of disappointing in terms of actual content. The only thing they had to offer were these blown-up prints of a supposed ghost caught on their security cameras after dark; some guy from the 19th century, wearing a suit, standing at the elevators.

I will say, though, I toured the museum myself during the middle of the day on a Monday, and it was creepy. I'm not sure if that's just because I was in a museum, or if it's because I was sensing something that seemed to follow me. No one really checks that museum out anymore, that's for sure. I was all alone for hours.

There was also this blood-stained couch in one of the back chambers of the museum where the first town mayor died. No story behind that, but I didn't feel right being alone in a room with it. I almost felt like I could sense him, still there.

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 2:53 pm 
Spook

I've lived in the New York metro area my whole life and specifically on Long Island, which seems generally unremarkable--iced teas aside--but there have got to be some things going on on a tiny spit of land with four different abandoned insane asylums on it.

For example, all the way east on the island is Camp Hero, a former military base converted into a quiet state park. Conspiracy theorists say that all kinds of fucked up experiments were conducted there, that boy scouts and orphans were kidnapped and trained to become psychic soldiers. There was a device there called the Montauk Chair where a sufficiently psychically gifted user could bring objects over from another reality into ours. A man named Preston Nichols, who is probably just a crazy person, claimed to have been an engineer on the project and alleges that some kind of monster was summoned from the fourth dimension and that it's now trapped in the tunnels beneath Camp Hero. Other rumors hold that even now the government continues to conduct mind-control and psychic experiments down there.

Mount Misery Road in Huntington is supposedly a hot spot for all kinds of activity, be it ghostly or ufological. I'm vastly more interested in the former, though. Mary's grave is another popular Long Island legend although there are lots of different stories about where it is. (Based on lots of other Long Island stories, Mount Misery is probably a safe bet.) There are a whole lot of different stories about Mary and the degree to which her ghost is vengeful or protective. Some say she was beaten by her father and killed, others believe she hanged herself in an act of rebellion. In some versions she's a sociopath, taking small animals to a nearby house, only two short walls of which remain today. At any rate, she either exacts vengeance on boys or protects girls. I'm told if you shine a flashlight on her grave you can sometimes see her face, or that the statue of an angel at her grave will cry in the presence of another young woman.

I also go to school on Staten Island, which has some stories of its own. You can check out Cropsey on Netflix if you want to see a real-life horror story, but the fictionalized version just holds that Cropsey kidnaps and murders kids (which, admittedly, is what verifiably happened) from the sorts of Jewish summer camps that popularized his story (this part is less true). The real-life Cropsey diced a bunch of children into bits though, and the vast majority of those bits still haven't been found thirty years later.

One last story: my school is really small but someone was violently murdered in the '70s for trying to break off her relationship with an assistant librarian (this is another one that definitely happened, because the newspapers covered it and everything). The killer was institutionalized but supposedly jumped off the Verrazano bridge to kill himself upon discharge, and the maintenance staff say some nights you can still hear the shelves rattling in the basement where he used to work.

There are more local legends but I won't cover them because I'm getting anxious, hahaha.

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:24 pm 
Spook

Near where I live there's this ruined building that apparently was a site of devil-worship and human sacrifices.
The place was called "The Hellfire Club", and while that satanic stuff happened in the 18th century, during the 1960's a family living in a house at the base of the mountain the building is on claimed they were driven from their home by evil spirits and whatnot.
A full summary (http://paigehchen.hubpages.com/hub/The-haunting-of-Killakee-House

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:53 pm 
Creep

In New Mexico, we have the story of La Llorona, a woman who (in the version I was told) threw her children into the Santa Fe river, and immediately overcome with regret starts running along the river in an attempt to save them. But she fell and hit her head on the rocks, and is now curse to wander the river and streams searching for her children. She can be heard screaming and crying out for her children, and as a child I was told that she would call out the names of disobedient children and come to take them as her own.

I had one experience as a child that I attributed to her. I had a friend over and we were in my back yard play fighting with tree branches as wooden swords. Right next to my house was an arroyo (drainage ditch) that we were told La Llorona would stalk, and that day while we were playing we heard a woman nearby call out, and we each thought she called our own name. Naturally we both freaked out and ran inside the house.

I know there are a lot of ghost stories here, but I'm not as familiar with any of them as I am with this one. My sister used to collect books of local ghost stories and read them to me, but she got rid of them when she started associating them with misfortune in our house.

And now it's over, there's no place to hide."
- Alice

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:55 pm 
Phantasm

Steven! You're from New Mexico? I hail from that country too! Well, I did, until I moved.
----

Lets see, urban legends... What ones do I know from California? I don't really know any :/ More familiar with ones from New Mexico, like Skin Walkers. Depending on which person you ask, they're either Witches or or demons. Most Navajo people will tell you that they're Witches, if I remember correctly.

Am I Sane?

Am I insane?

Come on, shoot faster,
Just a little bit of energy!
I wanna try something fun right now,
I guess some people call it anarchy!

Report this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next