It is currently Mon May 29, 2017 7:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to Terror Tortellini.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on a lot of content because you can't see it. By joining us, you will have access to these areas and other features as well. Maybe we're talking about you behind your back and you can't see it because you want to be anonymous. I get it; I really do. But come on, being a member means you can add to the conversations. What do you have to lose? Signing up is free. So give it a try and join up.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: "Things I Hate" thread
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:22 pm 
Spook

[quote="AvadaKadabra"][quote="Glass Onion"]

This either makes you very old, or very misinformed. Music, rock especially always features a level of dishonesty. It's part of the appeal for a lot of people. The Beatles, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Bob Dylan, Lou Reed, The Rolling Stones, et al. basically made their careers based on their ability to sell lies. It seems that the issue you have with Edward Sharpe + etc. is that you don't like the thing they're selling.

Perhaps if you just limited your statement to: "I hate things that I find to be saccharine." Because that way you wouldn't run into this tricky situation where you try to impose an opinion as some sort of fact.

Not sure how I imposed my opinion as "some sort of fact." I never said other people aren't allowed to like it. I'm really, really bored with the trend of making idealized white bygone eras the "cool thing." It's not the same as lies, so much, as that particular romanticization. I really, really do not like to hear spoiled white kids from LA singing about how peachy keen Alabama is. It's a lot of the same reason I dislike the rockabilly subculture and the fact that people around here insist on prancing about in cowboy hats and calling themselves "rednecks," "cowboys," and "good ol boys" when they've never so much as volunteered at a petting zoo. The fact that the whole "twee" thing also has a heavy dose of infantilizing women while simultaneously hypersexualizing them, then claiming to be "different" in terms of beauty standards just makes it that much more aggravating. If you like urban women in their 20s and 30s tiptoeing around in rompers and ribbons, whistling, tittering, and singing about how swell it is to be a good ol' country gal in Arkansas 40 years ago, that's your business. But I have valid reasons for thinking it's crap.
Double post, but **** it.

Why do you care so much about how other people dress?

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:32 pm 
Ghost

Ultra wrote:
That has to be the first time I've ever heard bib-and-brace overalls described as hypersexualising. For future reference, in addition to being a popular form of clothing for toddlers (the origin, I assume, of the infantilising remark) they were and in many cases still are work clothes used on farms, hence why people might adopt those fashions if rural life is what does it for them.

What baffles me is your extreme antipathy to these people. If it's hypersexualising women (by means of dungarees. Dungarees!), I can think of many subcultures more notorious for that- in fact, most women outside of highly religious societies tend to dress less conservatively than 50s Alabama farmers. If it's people dressing like things they aren't, are football shirts and the following of professional sports in general right out? Should I take down my Rolling Stones poster because I've never rogered David Bowie?

These people don't actually think they are cowboys, they are adopting the trappings because it appeals to them and their friends. Real farmers would most likely be bemused at worst. Unless they are dealing meth or leading make-believe cattle drives of stray cats over your garden, I'm completely confused as to why you hold them in such contempt.

I never said anything about overalls? I'm not sure where you're getting that. My issue is the hypersexualization combined with the infantilization that happens in the "twee" subculture. Zooey Deschanel is a popular example, though I suppose a minor one. Other subcultures (rockabilly, rap, punk, goth) also sexualize women, but it's less bothersome because there's no pretense to it, and the sexualization is based on their adult womanhood. It's not "stick an adult woman in a romper and piggie tails."

And I never claimed real farmers wouldn't be bemused. I am just bothered by anyone, particularly a city person, who thinks a black person is impressed by "HOWDY HOWDY HOWDY, I'm a redneck good ol' boy! Dukes of Hazard! Confederate flag!" Defend it all you want, I am not impressed by what I can't possibly understand as anything other than "I am a racist, but racism isn't a cute enough subculture." Every single person I know who prances around calling themself a redneck is a racist, whether or not they openly admit it. I hold racists in contempt. I have every right (in fact, I can tie this back into my annoyance for the idealized media regarding rural Alabama of days gone by. To a lesser extent, of course, but I really can't think of what's so neat about a place that, in my grandmother's words, my family had to "leave in a hurry" do to people similar to those calling themselves rednecks).

Question: why is it only my annoyances/pet peeves that are so offensive to other people? I could go back and comment on BCs distaste for chicken breast and preference for thighs, because I feel the opposite is true, but I didn't really start this thread to have people argue with others about things they hate. Just for people to post about them.

EDIT: Pzycho- why do you care so much about what I dislike?

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:40 pm 
Entity

Because you're relatively new to the group and people are opinionated. It's hardly personal. I totally agree this should have just been a thread about posting people's hates without any arguing, but people are hardly that rational with each other.

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:47 pm 
Ghost

Quote:
I am just bothered by anyone, particularly a city person, who thinks a black person is impressed by...

Not everything other people do is about you, either trying to impress you or mortally insult you. Just saying.

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:57 pm 
Ghost

.....so why exactly are you so vehement at denying my right to be bothered by people who's entire subculture is based around excluding me for being born, whether or not the hats are the major part of it? Why are you so thoroughly convinced that this is some judgement I'm passing on people I've never met, as opposed to people WHO HAVE MADE ME PHYSICALLY UNSAFE OR INSULTED ME?

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:00 pm 
Ghost

Quote:
entire subculture is based around excluding me for being born

There you go again.

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:02 pm 
Ghost

No, really, I'm seriously questioning your motives here.

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:07 pm 
Spook

I wasn't trying to be a **** or anything, I was just wondering why it bugged you so much.

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:27 pm 
Entity

This thread is easily the most retarded thing to hit the board.

It's even worse than the *** thread.

Quote me on that.

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:58 pm 
Ghost

[quote="PzYcHo"]I wasn't trying to be a **** or anything, I was just wondering why it bugged you so much.

Why does anything seemingly benign bug anyone? Why are people so bugged because I dislike a song or how other people dress or hell, how other people treat me specifically? It's not like I go up to random people and give them a speech about how much I hate their look, or actually punch bad tippers in the face, or cut people out of my life for liking bad music, or anything like that.

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:19 pm 
Spook

I'm not bugged, it was a genuine question. But it's cool, I guess I can understand why you don't like the way people dress.

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:42 pm 
Ghost

Freakin' Oklahoma, 102 at ten in the a.m.
What heck!

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:07 pm 
Made of Glass

AvadaKadabra wrote:
Not sure how I imposed my opinion as "some sort of fact." I never said other people aren't allowed to like it.

AvadaKadabra wrote:
Twee music is bad, full stop.

Anyway.

People take issue with your statements more often because you tend to speak in absolutes without qualifying your statements, which is what happened in the argument about evolution, and the discussion about tipping (I agree with you on that one, for what it's worth). People on average do not respond well to sweeping negative generalizations about stuff.

Short version: if you end your posts with the phrase "At least, that's my opinion", people will argue with you less.

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:45 pm 
Eater of Fresh Oranges

I vote we all meet up and fisticuffs the solutions to our disagreements into existance. All in favor?

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:48 pm 
Made of Glass

I dunno my frail bony wrists are probably not so good for fisticuffs. Perhaps we can just exchange judgmental glances. I am the best judgmental glancer.

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:13 am 
Ghost

[quote="16bearswutIdo"]This thread is easily the most retarded thing to hit the board.

It's even worse than the *** thread.

Quote me on that.

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:46 am 
Eater of Fresh Oranges

GO, we will box, you and I, one of these days.

It will later be made into a movie starring Liam Nieson.

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:48 am 
Phantasm

Glass Onion wrote:
I dunno my frail bony wrists are probably not so good for fisticuffs. Perhaps we can just exchange judgmental glances. I am the best judgmental glancer.

GO, you are my favorite.

But there's no room for compliments in a thread like this. I'll show myself out.

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:15 am 
King of Tryhards

Add this thread to the list of threads I'm going to avoid.

Report this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next