It is currently Mon May 29, 2017 7:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to Terror Tortellini.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on a lot of content because you can't see it. By joining us, you will have access to these areas and other features as well. Maybe we're talking about you behind your back and you can't see it because you want to be anonymous. I get it; I really do. But come on, being a member means you can add to the conversations. What do you have to lose? Signing up is free. So give it a try and join up.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: "Things I Hate" thread
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:47 am 
Entity

BananaCorn wrote:
You have no idea how pleased I was when I broke six feet

Kiwis have evolved beyond our mortal ken.

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:49 pm 
The Snow Witch of the Mountain Pass

Giggles wrote:
5'4" master race reporting in

May sistah!

Although I have big ole size 9 feets.

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:42 pm 
Ghost

Wait a second...

AvadaKadabra wrote:
The thing I feel that I hate most is the song "Home" by Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeroes. Why are a couple of hipsters from LA singing about some cutesy-fied down-home movie-version-of-hillbillies vision of Alabama and Arkansas? Why are they whistling through the whole song when it's a well known fact that whistling in a song is inherently terrible? The song came out in 2009, so why is it incessantly on the radio NOW? Why is it that this crap is the most popular music around? Yes, legitimately, I'd rather listen to the nonstop Ke$ha hour than this twee indie pop garbage that's replaced her, and this song is the twee-est of them all. Yuck.

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:15 pm 
Made of Glass

I was gonna reply to that, but hatred doesn't respond well to logic, so I refrained.

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:09 pm 
Ghost

Home isn't their best song, but they are a talented group.
Although their sister project Ima Robot is better.

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:25 am 
Ghost

Twee music is bad, full stop. I liked Ima Robot alright, but it wasn't this affected twee garbage that Edward Sharpe is. Talented as they might be, who wants to hear a couple of brats from LA sing about "maw and paw, Alabama Arkansas?" That kind of romanticization of some fictional version of old-timey white culture coming from people with exactly zero real connection to it is exactly what's wrong with today's pop culture. I was sick of it when it was first getting popular back when I was in high school, and I'm sick of it now.

On a different note, I hate the birds that live outside my window. One of them sounds like a dog barking through a bullhorn riding on top of Crown Victoria. I think it's some sort of diseased owl.

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:27 am 
Phantasm

Another thing I hate:

People who don't live within their means, then complain about not having enough money for the things they actually need. It's not that hard to only get things you can afford. House outside of your budget? Car outside of your budget? Don't get it. Find something cheaper.

Also, I never understood why people who make a lot of money HAVE to have giant houses and tons of cars. Dude, if I were rolling in the dough, I'd get something small and comfortable (more rooms is just more to effing clean, anyway) and use the bucket loads of $ I'm saving to travel around the world or something.

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:29 am 
Ghost

Does it matter that much that the people singing the words, esp. talented people, have little connection to the situations they sing about? Woody Guthrie sang about prison life and the Second World War, but was neither imprisoned nor a soldier. It's the foundation of showbusiness, really- these people are playing characters. Unless you feel the act or its culture is genuinely damaging to people or society I don't get the extreme dislike.

Fixed gear bikes are things I just don't get, to keep the hate train rolling. I rode one once and it was terrifying- no brakes, single gear, shitting bricks about pedal strikes every time you corner and the feeling that you are going to die if you hit a downhill at speed.

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:35 am 
The Snow Witch of the Mountain Pass

I listen to birds chirping/rain sounds when I sleep lately. It's really nice IMO.

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:23 pm 
Made of Glass

AvadaKadabra wrote:
That kind of romanticization of some fictional version of old-timey white culture coming from people with exactly zero real connection to it is exactly what's wrong with today's pop culture. I was sick of it when it was first getting popular back when I was in high school, and I'm sick of it now.

This either makes you very old, or very misinformed. Music, rock especially always features a level of dishonesty. It's part of the appeal for a lot of people. The Beatles, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Bob Dylan, Lou Reed, The Rolling Stones, et al. basically made their careers based on their ability to sell lies. It seems that the issue you have with Edward Sharpe + etc. is that you don't like the thing they're selling.

Perhaps if you just limited your statement to: "I hate things that I find to be saccharine." Because that way you wouldn't run into this tricky situation where you try to impose an opinion as some sort of fact.

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:52 pm 
Eater of Fresh Oranges

For the record, I don't like that song either. But the reason I don't like it is because I think it sounds dumb-- I've never been a fan of male/female duets. It just sounds silly to me.

But Glass is sort of right. Sort of. Nearly every band that sells their music through a record company loses the creative freedom to choose exactly how their songs should sound and feel and what they should be about. It sucks, but with few exceptions the bands must get signed in order to make money.

In doing so, they "sell out," essentially relinquishing control over the very thing that got them signed in the first place-- their music. The record company gets to decide when and how and where and what gets made. This is not always bad, but it sometimes results in bands making crap-poor music to satisfy their contracts-- music that the bands don't want to write.

I hate that system. It works well for production and distribution of music, but so many artists get screwed over by the record labels. Their creativity is stolen, their reputation is broken, and the band is destroyed.

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:08 pm 
Ghost

I hate this thread.

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:13 pm 
Spook

I hate sunny days.

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:47 pm 
It that betrays

PzYcHo wrote:
I hate sunny days.

I love them by default because I rarely see them.

you thought you'd never shed a tear
so this must astound
it must confound you
buy a ticket for the train
hide in a suitcase if you have to
this ain't no singin in the rain
this is a twister that will destroy you

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:19 pm 
Ghost

Glass Onion wrote:

This either makes you very old, or very misinformed. Music, rock especially always features a level of dishonesty. It's part of the appeal for a lot of people. The Beatles, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Bob Dylan, Lou Reed, The Rolling Stones, et al. basically made their careers based on their ability to sell lies. It seems that the issue you have with Edward Sharpe + etc. is that you don't like the thing they're selling.

Perhaps if you just limited your statement to: "I hate things that I find to be saccharine." Because that way you wouldn't run into this tricky situation where you try to impose an opinion as some sort of fact.

Not sure how I imposed my opinion as "some sort of fact." I never said other people aren't allowed to like it. I'm really, really bored with the trend of making idealized white bygone eras the "cool thing." It's not the same as lies, so much, as that particular romanticization. I really, really do not like to hear spoiled white kids from LA singing about how peachy keen Alabama is. It's a lot of the same reason I dislike the rockabilly subculture and the fact that people around here insist on prancing about in cowboy hats and calling themselves "rednecks," "cowboys," and "good ol boys" when they've never so much as volunteered at a petting zoo. The fact that the whole "twee" thing also has a heavy dose of infantilizing women while simultaneously hypersexualizing them, then claiming to be "different" in terms of beauty standards just makes it that much more aggravating. If you like urban women in their 20s and 30s tiptoeing around in rompers and ribbons, whistling, tittering, and singing about how swell it is to be a good ol' country gal in Arkansas 40 years ago, that's your business. But I have valid reasons for thinking it's crap.

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:43 pm 
The Table Flipper

Armthehobos wrote:
I hate this thread.

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:24 pm 
Ghost

That has to be the first time I've ever heard bib-and-brace overalls described as hypersexualising. For future reference, in addition to being a popular form of clothing for toddlers (the origin, I assume, of the infantilising remark) they were and in many cases still are work clothes used on farms, hence why people might adopt those fashions if rural life is what does it for them.

What baffles me is your extreme antipathy to these people. If it's hypersexualising women (by means of dungarees. Dungarees!), I can think of many subcultures more notorious for that- in fact, most women outside of highly religious societies tend to dress less conservatively than 50s Alabama farmers. If it's people dressing like things they aren't, are football shirts and the following of professional sports in general right out? Should I take down my Rolling Stones poster because I've never rogered David Bowie?

These people don't actually think they are cowboys, they are adopting the trappings because it appeals to them and their friends. Real farmers would most likely be bemused at worst. Unless they are dealing meth or leading make-believe cattle drives of stray cats over your garden, I'm completely confused as to why you hold them in such contempt.

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:28 pm 
Entity

Why does anybody hate anything? Irrational emotions covered up by carefully thought-out justifications that really only work for them and those who believe them.

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:20 pm 
Spook

[quote="Giggles"][quote="PzYcHo"]I hate sunny days.

I love them by default because I rarely see them.
I had to do yardwork today, and it was 110 fucking degrees. What the **** Arkansas. What the ****.

Report this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next