It is currently Sun May 28, 2017 4:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to Terror Tortellini.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on a lot of content because you can't see it. By joining us, you will have access to these areas and other features as well. Maybe we're talking about you behind your back and you can't see it because you want to be anonymous. I get it; I really do. But come on, being a member means you can add to the conversations. What do you have to lose? Signing up is free. So give it a try and join up.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 217 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: The TV Thread
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:46 pm 
Butthurt

In here we talk about things we see on telly.

Or things that were designed for telly but we watch on the computer.

Report this post

Post subject: Re: The TV Thread
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:50 pm 
Cool and Spicy

I hear quite a bit about scottish television these days. Something about a drama about old people playing cards or something. Apparently it was good.

As for 'murrkan television, I don't really watch anything. I watch Entourage, worked through the first season of Supernatural last year because lol/x/materialandhotactors, and was thinking about picking up Dexter because people wont shut up about it, but that's it really.

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:59 pm 
Butthurt

I have recently been watching two alien-invasion series. One of which is brand new. The other has been out for a while.

"Falling Skies" - this is the thing produced or advised on by Stephen Spielberg recently. I thought it looked good based on the trailer but very quickly grew frustrated with it. I haven't watched beyond episode 4 and I don't think I can do anymore.

Aliens have invaded earth, they are called skitters. Humanity is in 'resistance mode' with big groups of civillians led by 'fighters' who are essentially just civillians or ex military personnel with guns.

Look, TV is fiction and I get that but this whole series succumbs to every crappy, generic trope (lol, trope) there is. From a tactical standpoint it makes little sense too. The lead character is Doctor Carter from ER (yeah, I'd fuck him too) and he is a military historian. Apparently this means that he's a shit-hot military guy and can lead a team of shit-hot fighters to kill the aliens. But if I had a penny for every time he's walked round a dark corner, pointed his gun at a strange shape and shouted very loudly "WHO'S THERE!" well, I'd probably have about 20 pence. Which is too much. I get the deal with this character, his take on history is supposed to be reflective upon the current state of the earth.

I don't understand, though, how 'fighters' are selected aside from civillians in this universe. Hot blonde chicks get guns, their hair is straight and their make up is on despite massive alien invasion + no food/water + fighting. Doctor Carter's son fights with him which causes no end to family turmoil as whenever the son or father is in danger, they both risk the entire safety of the resistance to save each other. But apparently this is noble or endearing. Family is important, that seems to be what Falling Skies wants to say.

But humanity sucks. Given the 2nd episode when they run into a bunch of ex-biker gang type prison dickheads who have commandeered weapons and basically ruin shit for other humans. Seriously, in this entire episode they forgot completely about the aliens.

They cram far too much into this series, when it could be successful on a simple level

"V" - I haven't watched too much of "V" yet, I'm only on episode 3. But it's been great so far. The idea of reptillian/reptoid aliens was the best angle they could take because it's such an extreme conspiracy theory and an excellent fictional arc. It was surprising too. The Visitors (or V) could have maintained their original appearance and capabilities and still have been a formidable bad guy.

A bunch of huge alien ships turn up on Earth, offering peace and love and interacting with the media, allowing humans to visit their ships etc. The Visitors (as they are referred to) look just like humans but slightly prettier and shinier to some extent. They share medical miracles, share peaceful political views and generally start to unite the world - complicated by the occasional riot or nutjob. It turns out, however, that they are reptillian aliens. According to a conspiracy group, they have been running the world in secret for a while. Now they're here to really enslave us.

Characterisation isn't too bad. I struggle with a female lead but she's believable, she's not overly strong or an expert gunman or some nonsense. Just a fairly competent FBI agent who stumbles across the secret of the Visitors in the first episode. She can be vulnerable too, which is great, that's how you develop a strong lead. Her douchebag son is forgivable. He's written to be a rebelious, divorce-result teenager who thinks he knows better and it grates against you but you'll learn to just shrug and come to terms with it. Teenagers do this, unfortunately. He is a massive Visitor supporter and doesn't believe his mother about the conspiracy theory. Despite her actually SEEING the Reptillian thing, then he goes to work with the Visitors.

"V" is simple, it's quick and easy on the eye. It focuses much more on the ongoing story arc than emphasising aspects of humanity, which is what makes it more pleasurable to watch. You're willing to forgive silly things because, well, aliens. And the aliens are somewhat SOMEWHAT believable for any of you who have read up on the reptillian/reptoid conspiracy theory.

Last edited by Scotty on Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:05 pm 
Queen Orgasma

I watch master Chef and Hell's Kitchen religiously.

I live and breathe for cooking.
When those aren't on, I watch the spanish soap operas on Univision or Telemundo

other than that I like to watch Hoarders. It gives the neat freak in me motivation.

Intervention is good too, also The A-List. and I cannot miss an episode of Cops every Saturday before I hit the town.

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:07 pm 
Entity

I don't even own a television.

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:59 pm 
Butthurt

I don't think anything will ever beat either the Sopranos or the Wire for me. Those were just such great shows. I've watched them through two or three times now. TV rarely gets like that these days. I've heard that Mad Men is worth watching but I'm just not sure if it's my cup of tea.

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:05 pm 
Good news, everyone!

V is good. I think I'm pretty much up to date on the series. I don't know how far you are along in the story Scotty (you mentioned what season but I don't remember where all the season lines are). Let's just say that I was completely behind it until they started talking about, well, let's just say that something the V's are trying to isolate in the most recent season had me groaning with how stupid it sounded.

Falling skies looked good. I watched the first two episodes but then I moved and no longer had cable TV and a DVR to watch it. Sorry to hear it started sucking.

Right now the only TV shows I'm watching on a semi-regular basis are:

Game of Thrones - Based on A Song of Ice and Fire. The season is over and I might pick up the books soonish.

True Blood - Some of the supernatural stuff is a tiny bit silly but 99% of the show is pure excellence.

The Daily Show - What can I say, Jon Stewart is the man.

Big Brother - My parents have been watching this and have kind of roped me into the latest season such that I watch it on sunday nights when I'm over there to do laundry and watch true blood as well.

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:12 pm 
Butthurt

True Blood gets a lot of flack for the fantasy element but the acting is just so good that you shouldn't miss it. Then you've got that fantastic deep south setting, it's all very 'Deliverance' sometimes. True Blood is mostly Nik's thing but I watch it regularly with her.

I'm still wavering on Game of Thrones. I stuggled with Blood and Sand (spartacuse thing) big time, I'm not sure why. Again, I keep hearing great things about it, though.

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:17 pm 
Good news, everyone!

It seriously is good. I didn't watch Blood and Sand so I can't say I can give you a comparison. But GoT has some pretty good acting and a great overall setting and storyline to it. I recommend it (and I'm betting giggres would too for how much she's already talked about ASOIAF).

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:17 pm 
Made of Glass

I like Memphis Beat because

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:19 pm 
Good news, everyone!

I've seen one or two episodes of Memphis Beat. While the concept of a country singing detective is kind of dumb, I love Jason Lee so I give the show a thumbs up.

Also, I lol'd when I saw that his boss was the lady from Where in the world is Carmen San Diego.

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:20 pm 
Butthurt

See I have virgin media on demand, which basically has a whole list of shows it stores for you. It's handy, you get entire seasons of stuff. That's how I caught the American Office, actually, which I really enjoyed. The UK version is a lot closer to home and I still prefer it but I still liked the US one. Although only at the end of season 2 right now.

But I was watching the Mentalist and I just couldn't do it anymore. You can pick the killer right away and the format of each episode didn't change.

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:27 pm 
Cool and Spicy

armaneaux wrote:
I watch master Chef and Hell's Kitchen religiously.

I live and breathe for cooking.

I met Bobby Flay.

He was a dick.

...that's pretty much my only cooking television story.

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:12 am 
Queen Orgasma

He IS a dick.
Dude has a fucking hand double.
I do not watch food network, at all. I watch the cooking shows on PBS instead.

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:31 am 
Cool and Spicy

Not even Iron Chef? That stuff is GOLD!

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:39 am 
Queen Orgasma

I never cared much for it.

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:02 am 
Good news, everyone!

CheshireStray wrote:
Not even Iron Chef? That stuff is GOLD!

For a second I thought the Iron Chef in that episode was the guy that used to host all those nickalodeon game shows, Mark Summers was it?

Also

I didn't see it but my favorite "secret ingredient reveal" was

MILK AND CREEAAAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMMMM

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:50 am 
Spook

TV stopped being worthwhile for me after King of the Hill finished having new episodes. :|

No but really, I like a good deal of stuff (30 Rock, The Office, Parks and Rec, The Mentalist, Criminal Minds, Adventure Time), I just... never watch it. Either because college means more difficult access to TV, I don't have cable back home, or I'm just too lazy to look up episodes online. I need to catch up on a lot of stuff.

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:06 pm 
King of Tryhards

I watch House, Fringe, The Mentalist, and I've just started watching The Walking Dead, which priemered here recently.

Report this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 217 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next