It is currently Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to Terror Tortellini.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on a lot of content because you can't see it. By joining us, you will have access to these areas and other features as well. Maybe we're talking about you behind your back and you can't see it because you want to be anonymous. I get it; I really do. But come on, being a member means you can add to the conversations. What do you have to lose? Signing up is free. So give it a try and join up.

Post subject: Productive Writing. *I need some advice.*
PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 2:01 pm 
Creep

I'm not one of the most productive writers out there. The thing with me is that I can't write on a daily basis that some people are so capable of. I need to be in a certain mood in order for me to type out something that I'm satisfied with.

The result of opening up MSWord when I'm not in that particular mood usually constitutes in me staring blankly at the screen for any sort of inspiration, or I type in a few words but erase them quickly when I realize that that's not the wording I'm looking for.

I figured that my problem would be solved if I started properly planning my chapters and plots, but the same problem exists even when I try to write down a basic outline or when I try to flesh out my plots and characters.

I was thinking that maybe my mind is rushing way ahead of me, and I can't keep up with it. I have fully developed events stuck in my head, but not on the paper -- and even when I try to jot that event down, I have difficulty in figuring out where to start and what to jot down.

I don't know whether this is Writer's Block or not, but this problem has always persisted with me. I think this may be one of the hurdles that I have to cross in order to enter the proper 'writer phase'. I need some advice on how I can overcome this.

Please, and thank you.

Report this post

Post subject: Re: Productive Writing. *I need some advice.*
PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 6:11 am 
Ghost

The best way to overcome this problem would be discussing your ideas with someone you know, it's like talking to your supervisor while writing a thesis. Once you say your ideas out loud, you start to convert them into the words and thus, it would be easier to write them down.

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 8:52 am 
Entity

Set up a schedule where you sit down to write at a specific time. Doesn't have to be every day or even every other day. I do suggest at least once a week, though. The key is consistency and making it something you do instead of something you just want to do.

Set aside a minimum of an hour and a half for your scheduled times. That way you can start by working on your writing for half an hour first, then do something else that you find fun for half hour, and then go back to working on your writing for another half an hour. Focus on your writing for those half hour chunks and make sure you take that half hour break in between. This sounds weird, but it helps. You could extend this further, but I found that my brain can't handle more than two and a half hours of this.

Combine these with normal-ish writing exercises like random **** or personal anecdotes as warm-ups and you'll be okay. Unless you don't really want to be a writer, then you shouldn't stress about only writing when you're in the mood to.

Also CandleClock's suggestion of discussing it with other people can backfire a lot in a psychological sense. Because if you've told somebody your idea and they say they like it or generally praise you about it, then your mind is going to think you don't have to do any more work on the story because brains are dumb like that some times. So be careful who you discuss it with.

Report this post

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:04 am 
Ghost

You don't have to be in front of the monitor and THEN get inspiration. Try to be relaxed, but not the type when you'll be fast asleep in no time. It depends on the person if ambient music or just peace and quiet is okay, but when you're relaxed, or lets say, holding a pen and there's a paper in front of you, pour what's in your mind. It doesn't have to the story itself, but things that might help you write. I usually open MS Word when I'm about to encode my finished product. Have you story planned as you relax. Forcing your brain to command your hands on the keyboard might not be the best way to juice your ideas out.

The chapters and plots are usually in my mind when I'm about to sleep, and it kinda keeps me awake more. I try to view it like it's a movie, and narrate it in my mind. Let's say in your mind, for example, a pair of mysterious spheres slowly descended and obscured your vision. Try t narrate it like "As I fully relaxed on this cozy couch of my girlfriend, I started to doubt if I drank too much before visiting her. My vision slowly obscured, and I felt a stench that singed my nose hair and was slapping me unconscious. And then. Then it happened. It was getting darker by the moment, as a floating sac with two spheres inside slowly descended in front of my eyes."

Minds opened, that serves as my exercise, and I usually sit up and think if I should write that down, or not. Usually, I do, and that's how my stories come to life.

Report this post