It is currently Sun May 28, 2017 4:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to Terror Tortellini.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on a lot of content because you can't see it. By joining us, you will have access to these areas and other features as well. Maybe we're talking about you behind your back and you can't see it because you want to be anonymous. I get it; I really do. But come on, being a member means you can add to the conversations. What do you have to lose? Signing up is free. So give it a try and join up.

Post subject: Is creepypasta dead?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:46 am 
Ghost

It's not as much a question about the state of things on this board (for which we already have a thread), but about the genre as a whole. As there are a few of new pastas here, and most of them barely have any comments, I want to know, if people are still interested in creepypasta, or this genre is already dead or dying.

I do realize that the new stories are not as impressive as the old ones and blah blah blah, but the question is: if you're interested in reading any new creepypasta-related works? Did any recent story impress you? Is there any point of trying to do something with the genre?

Any thoughts?

Report this post

Post subject: Re: Is creepypasta dead?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:19 pm 
Entity

I think a lot of the real estate for creepypasta has been used up, sure, so there's a tendency to say "oh this is just a slenderman story" or "oh this is like Squidward's Suicide but worse" or so on, but I think there's always going to be new people wanting to write stuff and short horror will always be interesting, it's just going to go in waves as people gain and lose interest.

I've been reading and writing horror stories off and on for some 20 years, and have been more and less involved in it on quite a few different occasions over my life. It goes in waves.

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:34 am 
Spook

Creepypasta died at the hands of its own stagnation.

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:39 pm 
Phantasm

I am a frequenter of Reddit's /r/nosleep. They are in the same fashion of creepypastas, and since they are voted on you can tell which ones are worth a dam,n to read. Lots of good scary short stories there.

So while they aren't called creepypastas, the art form of it hasn't died out and there's still an active community for it online.

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:24 pm 
Ghost

Nosleep does overlap with creepypasta, but I'd say it's kinda different. It's more of a role-playing site with certain guidelines needed to keep stories realistic.

While Penpal, one of my favorite stories (on whose translation I'm currently working) is coming from where, nosleep is not a lace where you can find stories about travelling into other dimensions in a subway or toothless zombies taking over.

Report this post

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:20 am 
Entity

Yes.

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:45 pm 
Phantasm

Next Gen

Report this post

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:56 am 
Ghost

I guess I'm coming back to this forum more often than I thought I would, so I think I'll give my response to this long-dead thread:

It seems to me the subversive thrill that made creepypasta unique is somewhat exhausted. Creepypasta has adhered by and large to a formula from the very beginning. Not only were the stories beloved by their readers, but the formulas themselves were as well. It was a new form of expression for some of the more dreadful emotions that living in an internetic age had begun to create. Even the creation of the concept of creepypasta was a remarkably unconscious worldwide process.

People are chasing the dragon, so to speak, of what the old creepypastas made them feel, and there's no way to be surprised by the aesthetic anymore, so people have mostly ceased to listen. There's still a lot of dread in the world based on the new technologies we have only very recently (within the last two and a half decades) begun to live with. I think people still aren't sure of how they feel about a lot of the effects that the overwhelming invasion of the internet has had on their lives.

In order to truly bring creepypastas as such back to their former status, we would have to somehow miraculously concoct a subversive form of storytelling based in the mundane setting of our everyday lives, with a large stress on the new sorts of isolation we've begun to experience as a result of our radically new modes of social interaction over computers (which means that a story can, but doesn't necessarily have to involve the technology directly; it can still happen in the woods or behind a local family-owned grocery store, but it must happen in our actual world--a world where people don't see each other "face to face" nearly as much as they used to).

That's why, in my opinion, the best creepypastas ever written were "Barbie.avi" and "Psychosis." Those stories are set in our world as it is today.

Report this post

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 4:06 pm 
Ghost

Besides that, the charm of many early creepypasta was that they seemed unique, especially compared to the mainstream fiction. Stories about ghosts living in video game cartridges or asylum inmates who keep magical objects seemed a fresh thing back then. Candle Cove blew my mind back then, basically for two reasons: its format which made it look like a real forum discussion and a theme of mysterious child memories in the age of the overgrown pop culture where you spend so much time in the world of fiction that it gets nearly impossible to tell from reality.

The thing is that these unique aspects of creepypasta were also the most abused. Back in 2010, when I discovered creepypasta for the first time, everybody already hated lost episodes, although they were pretty recent thing. Another part of the problem is that while the best original stories worked because they were set on a fringe between the real world and supernatural (psychosis, candle cove and some other stories are fine examples), most of the newer creepypastas dive completely into the world of fantasy. As a result you get more stuff like Steven King jr. or Lovecraft jr. (at best) instead of a specific Internet-related genre.

This is understandable though, as the real life is fucking hard to write about. I must admit that pretty much anything I wrote myself took place in a fictional universe without any pretentions of being real. In fact, I am more into surreal stuff than into the realism. A combination of the two is possible, but, then again, it's a damn hard thing to achieve.

Report this post

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:58 pm 
Ghost

I couldn't be more in agreement, Candleclock. And I share your surrealist leanings and sympathies, but, strangely enough, I've been really drawn to modern realism lately, because I'm just beginning to realize that it's interesting enough for someone with a surrealist worldview to write about now. Especially for people like us, who are perhaps obsessed (I am, at least) with certain dreadful aspects of this moment of 21st-century life. The truth of the matter is that real life isn't realistic anymore. It's more virtual than tactile in many ways. For the first time, a surrealist (especially of Dali's "paranoid-critical" school) can use nothing more than his perception to capture a truly unique and subjective picture of the current world we live in.

All it really takes to uphold the spirit that creepypasta originally manifested itself with is a focus on the sinister aspects of that subjective "post-surrealist" (for lack of a better term at the moment) view.

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 4:48 pm 
Ghost

This was the appeal of the ritual pastas - in a way they reflected a vision of real life as a sort of a video game with hidden easter eggs and cheat codes. Lost episodea and video games storieas basically tried to do the same - to bring the paranormal closer to home; something that a typical teenager or 20 y.o. could relate to.

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:10 pm 
Ghost

Sadly. the realism has its downsides too. Mostly, these are attempts to use it to justify the lack of imagination or creativity. I mean something among the lines of: "I heard some rustle in the bushes, **** my pants from fear, and I still don't know what it was." Realistic? Yes, kinda. Everyone sees or hears weird things, but there is a difference between horror and mere fright.

Report this post

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:25 am 
Ghost

That's certainly not the brand of "realism" that appeals to me. Actually that is just lazy fiction writing. What I'm referring to are vivid details in the environment of a fictional world that invoke a very deep dread because of the fact that they are staring the reader in the face and simultaneously implying a hideous reality. The power is in the inference. In that respect, I'm paying a slight homage to Hemingway's iceberg theory. No one gives a damn about bushes rustling. They want something memorable and tactile.

Report this post

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 4:51 pm 
Ghost

This shows that there are many different definitions of realism today.

The funny thing with the iceberg theory is that it demands a certain collaboration on the reader's end. I remember the infamous baby shoes story being posted somewhere, and quite a few commenters said something like "So, the child's feet were overgrown or something." It's one of the simpliest examples, of course.

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:11 pm 
Ghost

Well, I would only venture to pay homage to the idea of the iceberg theory, but I see no real reason to follow it entirely. But, with regard to the thing you said about the child growing, that required its own amount of creativity, so I see that not so much as a failure on the part of Hemingway as a concentrated effort to thwart something that really does seem to be working if you are approaching it as a casual reader and not some literary critic bent on toppling established paradigms of the 20th century (which I'm actually all for up to a certain point).

To be fair, though, I still rather dislike the R-word. I just find myself fascinated with banal physical details and I like to fill my fictional worlds with them. It just makes everything so much more dreadful, in my opinion. Even the most surreal terrors get their gleam from a coat of lacquer.

Report this post