It is currently Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to Terror Tortellini.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on a lot of content because you can't see it. By joining us, you will have access to these areas and other features as well. Maybe we're talking about you behind your back and you can't see it because you want to be anonymous. I get it; I really do. But come on, being a member means you can add to the conversations. What do you have to lose? Signing up is free. So give it a try and join up.

Post subject: Can someone with knowledge of US law help me out with this?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:35 pm 
Ghost

Asking a question about a section of a novel I'm writing:

Two sixteen-year-old boys are planning to shoot up their school. They make their own video manifesto explaining their reasoning for doing so, expecting it to be found after they've carried out the massacre. Days later, one of them backs out, and the two never talk about the shooting afterward. The other eventually does carry out the shooting alone, and dies after being shot by a police officer. The manifesto is discovered.

This takes place in a reality where Columbine did not happen, but 9/11 did. The specific year is 2002.

What would the punishment for the boy who backed out reasonably be? I've already decided that his punishment would be reduced on technicality, because in the video he does not actually make a clear threat against anyone and is just sort of standing in the background. He also did not have any knowledge of whether the shooting would actually take place after he backed out.

Report this post

Post subject: Re: Can someone with knowledge of US law help me out with th
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:26 am 
Ghost

http://criminal.findlaw.com/criminal-charges/failure-to-report-a-crime.html

This is probably the closest thing he can be charged with, although I'm not an expert of the American law. However, if he can prove that he didn't know about the crime (and especiallly if he tells that he believed that the manifesto was a joke/art project/whatever - it helps, if Columbine didn't happen), he probably shouldn't be punished at all.

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:05 pm 
Ghost

Alright, thanks. I'm good then.

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:34 pm 
Entity

The main thing he could be charged with is conspiracy and juries are notoriously aggressive in finding participation when they don't like the defendant.

What you'll want to look at is the conspiracy, when he withdrew if that withdrawal was communicated and what acts took place before the withdrawal.

https://www.justia.com/criminal/docs/ca ... 0/420.html

Report this post