It is currently Sun May 28, 2017 4:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to Terror Tortellini.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on a lot of content because you can't see it. By joining us, you will have access to these areas and other features as well. Maybe we're talking about you behind your back and you can't see it because you want to be anonymous. I get it; I really do. But come on, being a member means you can add to the conversations. What do you have to lose? Signing up is free. So give it a try and join up.

Post subject: Telling Scary Stories?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:21 pm 
Spook

Does anybody else like telling scary stories?
When I was a kid, I heard all the best scary stories at summer camp, around a campfire.
Since then I always keep four or five scary stories in my head to tell kids or friends, but I want to hear more! Anybody have some great scary stories to share with me?
I DON'T mean scary literature, just to clarify. I'm talking verbal stories you heard in a dark room that made your bones shake.

I'll share one of my favorites:

There were once two girls in the seventh grade (if you're telling this story to kids you can substitute whatever grade they're in to make them freak out more ;] ) named Rebecca and Allison. Rebecca and Allison were total BFF's. They did everything together. Every Saturday night they would have sleepovers, make cookies and paint their nails. They were suuuuuch good friends.

One Saturday night as they sat painting their nails in Rebecca's room, the song they were listening to on the radio was interrupted by a news bulletin.

"Attention all residents of Oakville," said the announcer, (at this part it helps if you cover your mouth with your hand and make static-y noises to imitate the sound of the radio and the announcer. Also, you can substitute the name of the town for the name of the town where you are when telling the story :])
"This is an important safety alert. A dangerous convict being transported across the state for execution has overpowered his handlers and escaped his vehicle just three miles outside of Oakland. Lock all your doors and windows, and let no one into your homes until police give the all clear."

Rebecca and Allison were a little freaked out by the radio announcement. They quickly went around and locked all the doors and windows in the house. They tried to play a game, but they were too nervous.
"Let's just go to bed." Rebecca said.
"I can't sleep, though!" said Allison.
Rebecca thought for a little bit.
"You can count sheep until you fall asleep." She said. So Allison started to count quietly to herself.
"one, two, three..." (at this part you can go very quiet and count for a little while before resuming the story. they should be a little freaked out by now.)
Rebecca fell asleep while Allison was still counting. Hours passed, until at three in the morning Rebecca suddenly WOKE UP. (Here you can clap your hands or something, like this is gonna be the big scary part)
She had to go pee. (but it's not)
She got up and went to the bathroom in her bedroom, very sleepy. She was shocked to realize in the dark that she could STILL hear Allison counting sheep.
"five thousand and three, five thousand and four..." Allison was saying. She had been counting for so long that her voice sounded rough and raspy. (make your voice sound creepy)
"five thousand and ten, five thousand and eleven..."
Rebecca turned on the bathroom light. There, crouching on top of Allison's sleeping bag, she could see a man. He had dark, scraggly hair and black, beady eyes. his hands and body were filthy. In his hands he held the severed head of Rebecca's friend, Allison. He was holding the head like a baby, and counting the hairs on it one by one.
"Five thousand and twenty-four, five thousand and twenty-five..."

So that's one of mine, can't wait to hear some other good stories from you guys!!

Report this post

Post subject: Re: Telling Scary Stories?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:51 am 
Ghost

I think some of the stories from "Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark" fit the bill. You're supposed to lunge at one of your friends while delivering the final line of the story, and provide other theatrics as necessary (I love hamming up a good "O-o-O-o!"). Not sure if these are exactly the same ones that appear in the books, but they seem to be close enough anyway.

The Big Toe

Spoiler:
Quote:
A boy is digging in his garden when he spots a big toe. He picks it up and hears something groan and runs off. He shows it to his mom and she says that they will have it for supper. The boy's dad carves the toe into three pieces and they each have a piece. Then they do the dishes and when it gets dark, they go to bed. The boy falls asleep right away. But he wakes up and hears a voice calling to him saying "Where is my to-o-o-o-o-e?". He gets really scared as he hears it a few more times and pulls the covers over his head hoping it will go away and he will go to sleep. But it seems to get closer every time he hears it. Then he hears footsteps and the creature comes into his room and yells at him saying "Where is my to-o-o-o-o-e?!" Then he yells, "You've got it!!!!!!!!!"

Alternative ending

The boy sees the creature climb down his chimney and he asks what his big eyes are for and the creature answers "So I can see through you!" Then he asks what his big mouth is for and the creature answers "To swallow you!". Then he asks what his sharp teeth are for and the creature answers "TO CHOMP YOUR BONES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!".

Me Tie Doughty Walker (one of my faves)

Spoiler:
Quote:
There was once a haunted house that no one would ever want to go into. Every one said that every night at exactly 12 am, a bloody head would fall down the chimney. Finally, a very wealthy man decided to give 1,000,000 dollars to the first person who said that they would stay in the house until midnight. One man said that he would do it, but on one condition, if he could bring his dog with him to keep him company. The rich man said that he could. So, that night, the man and his dog went into the house.

That night, it was about 10 pm, the man sat there on the couch, his dog next to him, infront of the chimney. He decided to make a fire to brighten up the room, keep it warm, and to keep away any heads that would come down. At around 10:30 pm, the man heard a a faint voice, it said, "Me Tie doughty walker." "oh," said the man, "its probably someome out in the woods." to the mans suprise, his dog called back at the voice, "linchy kinchy colie molie dingo dingo" the man was surprised, but he just sat there with his dog trying to face a fear. at about 11 pm, the man heard the voice again, only closer. "Me tie doughty walker!" it sounded like the voice was coming from the backyard. The dog called back at the voice, "linchy kinchy colie molie dingo dingo!". "Shut up!" the man told his dog. The dog only looked at him, then looked back at the fire. At 11:30 pm, they could hear the voice and it was right at the front door, it said "ME TIE DOUGHTY WALKER!!" this time, the man tried to keep his dog from speaking to the voice, but it didnt work. " LINCHY KINCHY COLIE MOLIE DINGO DINGO!" twenty nine minutes later at 11:59 pm, the voice sounded as if it was on top of the house and it was even louder then before. "ME TIE DOUGHTY WALKER!!" the dog still responded no matter what the man did. "LINCHY KINCHY COLIE MOLIE DINGO DINGO!!" then, at that exact moment, it turned 12:00 am. Then, straight through the fire came out the bloody head of a man. It rolled right over infront of the dog, its eyes staring into the dogs, then, then dog yellped, fell all the over onto the floor. It had died of fright.

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:08 pm 
Spook

I loved those books! The best part were the creepy illustrations by Stephen Gammell.

Remember this story? I think it was something like a couple tourists adopt a dog they found in Mexico and smuggle it home with them, then have all sorts of trouble with it, and when they finally take it to the veterinarian he says:

Spoiler:

Another book that has stories good for telling out loud is Land of the Lawn Weenies! You should definitely check it out. They're supposed to be for kids but they're pretty damn creepy.

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:17 pm 
Ghost

The Mexican dog story is a good one, although the version I most remember is from another excellent book, The Big Book of Urban Legends.

I'm not familiar with Land of the Lawn Weenies, might have to check that out.

By the way, I heard that Gammell's illustrations have been replaced in new editions of SStTitD. Not to knock the new illustrator, but that feels somehow insulting. The drawings were at least half of what made the books so memorable.

http://io9.com/5881462/publishers-destroy-scary-stories-to-tell-in-the-darks-amazing-artwork

Report this post

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:29 pm 
Spook

I tried getting on Amazon to buy the "Scary Stories" anthology once, and saw that the reviews for newer editions had totally bombed. Them changing the artwork is damn near blasphemous.

Report this post

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:27 pm 
Dragonfly

[quote="RiDiLiN"]Another book that has stories good for telling out loud is Land of the Lawn Weenies! You should definitely check it out. They're supposed to be for kids but they're pretty damn creepy.

Holy ****! That book was my childhood.

And yeah, the stories were pretty damn creepy for kids. I recall one story about a kid whose worst nightmare became a reality-- some kind of a skinless, tall man? And another about a half-man, half-reptile living in a shack by a swimming pool? Weird stuff. A lot of them were just funny, though.

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:10 pm 
Spook

Right! Those were the best. The one that scared me the most was "Bobo" or something like that, about a carnival that lured and caught kids to feed to their popular sideshow attraction.... that one def caused some sleep deprivation when I was younger.

Does anybody remember a story, I think it was in one of these kinds of books, about a boy who finds some old newpapers up in his attic and starts investigating in the woods around his house... I think he ends up trapped in a cave until he can lure the next kid or something like that.. I can't remember a lot about that story except for how scared I was after I read it. Would love to find and read it again.

Report this post