It is currently Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to Terror Tortellini.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on a lot of content because you can't see it. By joining us, you will have access to these areas and other features as well. Maybe we're talking about you behind your back and you can't see it because you want to be anonymous. I get it; I really do. But come on, being a member means you can add to the conversations. What do you have to lose? Signing up is free. So give it a try and join up.

Post subject: Re: Discussion thread for The Old House by the Lake
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:33 pm 
Phantasm

Sorry about that, I was going to send it in last night but my internet dropped me.

Am I Sane?

Am I insane?

Come on, shoot faster,
Just a little bit of energy!
I wanna try something fun right now,
I guess some people call it anarchy!

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:41 pm 
Made of Glass

Dropped you right on the sidewalk curbstone.

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:44 pm 
Phantasm

yeppers.

Am I Sane?

Am I insane?

Come on, shoot faster,
Just a little bit of energy!
I wanna try something fun right now,
I guess some people call it anarchy!

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:33 am 
Entity

I got these questions from Zeca and I thought other people might be interested in the answers so I'm going to put the answers here.

For the purpose of sequels, only the stuff that "actually happened" in the story is cannon. Everything else I've said is just my ideas for the story right now - if I end up writing or co-writing additional stories later or running additional games later we may end up going in a totally different direction.

1-Speedy in Jail?
2-Who was the old man?Why did he want the hostages?
3-What's up with the ninja caretaker?

Spoiler:
1. Speedy is in the hospital. He's in police custody, though.

2. The Very Old Man is an insider with the people who owned the boxes (the organization). His original plan was to steal the boxes and blackmail them into giving him something he wants but this did not work (the organization that The Machine refers to as The Usurpers are apparently tough negotiators) and Thin Tommy started giving him trouble, so he decided to take the boxes for himself instead. His other plan was to simply blackmail them until they capitulated, then give up the location of the boxes.

The Very Old Man actually set up the whole job and is the reason that Thin Tommy suggested the location he did - he has inside access/knowledge regarding the organizations members and their kids, and as one of their security experts, he knew where they would be and that they would be mostly unprotected.

He initially wanted the hostages as an additional source of leverage. When he figured out that they weren't going to capitulate he didn't care about the hostages anymore, and just wanted the boxes to see if he could figure out any way from the boxes to extend his life or cure his illness.

Essentially he always thought he had advanced far enough in the organization to be entitled to special treatment and when he was declined he decided to turn on them.

3. Fred the Caretaker was a black book operative in the Vietnam war. After the war, he was hired by Card's grandfather as an assassin. This was his "retirement reward" a position being basically a groundskeeper. He was pretty old, in his late 70s, so you can imagine what he must have been like when he was younger. He was utterly loyal to Card's family and to a lesser extent to all the organization kids.

He was in addition to being an excellent killer, a trained "psy ops" expert who had a lot of training in creating terror and demoralizing an enemy population.

Report this post