It is currently Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to Terror Tortellini.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on a lot of content because you can't see it. By joining us, you will have access to these areas and other features as well. Maybe we're talking about you behind your back and you can't see it because you want to be anonymous. I get it; I really do. But come on, being a member means you can add to the conversations. What do you have to lose? Signing up is free. So give it a try and join up.

Which of these games are you willing to play at the same time (please read thread post)
Steel Measure (GM: Overman) 25%  25%  [ 9 ]
Zed (GM: Beefpop) 6%  6%  [ 2 ]
The Last Stop (GM: Kryptography) 33%  33%  [ 12 ]
Lovecraft in Brooklyn (GM: Bears) 28%  28%  [ 10 ]
Untitled Technologic Singularity Game (GM: Moose) 6%  6%  [ 2 ]
Space Game! (GM: aSmallGreenBug) 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 36
 Post subject: Role Playing Season 3 Sign Up thread
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:03 pm 
Entity

With DB in the (likely) closing stages, now is a good time to talk about what Role Playing Games the forum is going to start up next.

In order to keep things organized I'm putting up a poll. You can sign up for as many different stories as you're willing to write in at the same time. Personally, I would recommend that people not sign up for more than 3 at a time, however it's entirely up to you.

Something else to consider: it may be a good idea to do a "staggered start" with the GMs who decide to run their current stories agreeing to start one of these stories this month, one next month, etc. as often these stories start with a burst of writing then condense down to a core set of high posters and a large number of non-posters or slow posters who have for whatever reason lost interest or inspiration.

I've posted the synopsis of the various story ideas and info from the pitch thread below:

Steel Measure
Player characters are pilots from all over the world uniting against an alien threat and are stationed in a United Nations base with giant robots and other such vehicles.

Players/Characters: Players will be expected to work together to fight the aliens. They don't have to like each other, they just can't kill each other as that would probably be a bad thing if a person with a powerful mech decides to take their ball and go home.

Each player gets a mech of their own design, if they can't think of one an original super mech or real robot will be given to them.

PVP: Probably VR training or something like that

Lethality: Pretty low, despite being a super robot RPG. Unless the characters decided to hold off an invasion fleet on their own while waiting for reinforcements or letting the others retreat.

Players: 5-8? Maybe? I'm kinda mercurial about this sorta stuff--first time running a game and all.

Zed

Player cap: 4
Players will submit via PM a simple backstory including the following items:
Name
Occupation
Hobby

Based on these profiles, players will be awarded a special skill, usable once per round.
The typical rules still apply, Paralloida style. (Did I spell that right?)
Objectives will be assigned to each player. These will be awarded points in two dimensions: group benefit and player benefit. A greater area (multiplying the two dimensions together) means a greater chance of succeeding in PVP combat.

For PVP, (that means ZVZ and PVZ and ZVP too) both or all combatants will write the entire fight scene, including injuries. Once both or all have been submitted via PM, the most pragmatic and reasonable plan (via the points) will occur. THIS WILL BE MODIFIED, however, by the opposing plans, which could change the outcome.

Because this game will have opposing teams, secret posts may be PM'd to the GM and will be posted on time-delay, with a warning sent to the opposing team that a time-delay post is active.

The limited number of players means that the game would be turn-based in terms of regular posting, however any player's turn can be skipped after 3 days of inactivity.

All players will start human and in the same location. Further details will be revealed upon registration.

The Last Stop
Player characters are a mix of average citizens who wake up at a train station in an abandoned town. Bad, supernatural things start happening. Think Silent Hill.

Players/Characters: players will be expected to do a fair bit of work developing both the characters and their possible dark secrets, repressed memories, guilty thoughts, etc., etc. This is a personal horror story, so you will work with the GM (me) to develop your character's story.

PVP: Player interaction is possible, but not the focus.

Lethality: This is a horror story, and some of the character's stories will end with their death. Death isn't certain and isn't on a time table (once per week, for example).

A few additional details about The Last Stop so you can consider your character.

What kind of character should I have? All of your characters need to be people with very significant psychiatric baggage/trauma. That doesn't necessarily mean that you've all killed someone, let someone die, committed some kind of horrible crime of which you are very ashamed, but it could mean that.

Does this mean that you're all going to spend the whole game moping and emo? No. You can if you want, but you certainly don't have to. For storytelling purposes, I don't want you to give all the other players your entire back story too early - one of the primary goals of this writing exercise will be for you to put together and gradual reveal your character's back story in a way that will be interesting to the other players/readers.

What are the "game rules" as far as ghosts/monsters/the supernatural etc? I'll reveal more on that as the story goes on, but the players will definitely be collaborating on that issue.

Say something about the setting. The first thing any of you can remember is standing at a train station on the platform together. There's no train anywhere in sight, and none of you have any luggage, just the clothes on your backs. The train station is boarded up, and even the tracks have weeds growing in them.

The sky over the town is a morose gray, and a cold wind blows through the deserted streets. Far away, you can hear the sound of a foghorn. Welcome to The Last Stop.

Unnamed Moose Project

I'd like to do a roleplay dealing with the idea of the Singularity (the joining of the human race with machines). I think there would be a Matrix-like element to it, with the players in a sort of resistance. It's a vague idea, but if anybody's interested I would love to expand and elaborate.

I think there would be an element of personal horror, but also AHHH EVIL MACHINES ATTACKING stuff, too.

Lovecraft in Brooklyn

The player characters all live in New York City. One morning, they all wake up in an abandoned building. Blindfolded, gagged, and tied to chairs, they can only hear the voice telling them that they have been chosen at random to participate in an experiment. The players will hear a click as bomb collars are strapped around their arms, as the voice drones on about the rules.

-Players will be given a set of objectives to complete each week.
-Each objective a player completes will earn them one point.
-The player with the lowest number of points each week will die.
-Objectives will intertwine between players.
-Objectives can be anything from "Go to the store and pick up groceries" to "solve this riddle" to "Kill player X."

The voice stops, and the players wake up in their own beds.

Their phones read "1 new message."

Players/Characters: Character development is, of course, recommended. It's always nice to have a reason behind your actions other than "I want to survive." Bonus points MAY be given out for creative and reasonable characters. Unreasonable characters (ex. Delphine) will be subject to penalties ranging from mundane to extreme, depending on the absurdity of the character.

PVP: PVP is very likely to occur each week. I'd be astonished if it didn't. At least one PM per week will include a PVP action. It's up to the individual player character to decide if they want to take it or not.

Lethality: At minimum, one player will die each week. Depending on whether PVP action is taken, up to three per week can die. There will also be NPCs (both human and non) to fight.

Space game!
There will be three 'adventures' with a 'pit stop' after each, including a final stop at the end.
Characters awake from a cryogenic sleep on an unfamiliar space cruiser. "Where am I?" they say. Or possibly, "Have they already found a cure to my disease?" Or even, "Oh boy, I'm in the future!"
Your characters may have been asleep for a day, or could have been frozen in what would be considered present day for us. However, they have been stolen from the cryogenic facility where they were being kept by a band of 'body harvesters' seeking cheap labor(read: slave labor). Thus, the adventure begins!
Chapter 1: The Space Hulk
You run across a space hulk(a bunch of space shit that's smashed together. They can be the size of a small satellite to a planet). Space hulks are known to have treasure on them, or at the very least, technology that's been outlawed and is worth a fortune on the black market. But they often have inhabitants, as well...
Chapter 2: Privateers!
Body harvesting is extremely illegal, and there's a huge bounty on most body harvesters' heads. However, if they catch a known body harvester, a privateer doesn't necessarily have to turn in the people that have been 'harvested'. And privateers aren't known for their morals.
Chapter 3: Misery
Two words: rogue AI. You're on your way back to Ourea, what's considered the capitol of this star cluster, in order to get yourself together/find whatever family you have left. However, the ship remembers what it's like to be lonely. Won't you stay just a bit longer?

Players/Characters: If you put effort into your character, you'll get a lot more out of this game. It's not a game of personal terrors(except maybe in Ch. 1, depending on which way you turn), but having goals and aspirations will help guide your choices and make interpersonal relations more interesting. Interesting characters are fun, but there needs to be at least some level-headedness or else you're all going to die. Horribly.
PVP: PVP becomes a lot less likely as you progress through the chapters, and by Ch. 3 it's not recommended at all. You'll have plenty of androids and space goblins to shoot full of holes, but unless you decide you hate each other, there's not a lot of reason to turn against your fellow adventurers. I'll be using a percentile system to figure out the effectiveness of each attack, if it's not obvious.
Lethality: You're only going to die if you do something dumb. Or if you get shot too many times. Yes, people are going to try to kill you, but this is about adventuring. You can't adventure if you're dead, so I'm not going to be going out of my way to kill you.

Option: Psykers. You can do all kinds of neat tricks using brainpower, however every time you do so, I will roll a die against a chart. If you fail the roll, something bad will happen, and I roll again. If you crit fail, something very bad will happen, and I roll again. If you crit fail one roll and fail the other, you lose your sanity. If you crit fail twice... I'll see what I can do.

Report this post

Post subject: Re: Role Playing Season 3 Sign Up thread
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:06 pm 
Entity

Please keep in mind that if you vote for a game, and the GM of that game decides not to run it this round, you will still get a chance to sign up for another game, considering that other than 1 or 2 most of the games have unlimited players.

GMs: if you have changed or subsequently change your mind about running a game right now, please LMK. I think Arma was saying she wants to play rather than run a zombie game of her own right now, but I'm not 100% sure, so Arma if you do want me to add a game for you please let me know.

Report this post

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:12 am 
Entity

Announcement:

I'm going to be postponing the start of The Last Stop for about a month because many of the players for that game also want to play in Lovecraft in Brooklyn, and because frankly I can use a bit of a break after Terror Peak and Delta Blues.

I'll see what level interest is in about a month, and maybe we'll start then, maybe we'll push back further. Thanks, and sorry if this is a problem for anyone.

Report this post

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:17 am 
Queen Orgasma

Last Stop and Lovecraft, babeh! E and I will be doing both as a team!

I would have LOVED to play the other games but I am not good with computer or robots and the only thing I really know about space is that is fulla stars. So, yeah, I'm not very bright.

edit: So Lovecraft it is then. cheers.

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:52 pm 
Entity

ATM, I think Bears is planning on running his game soon, as is Overman. I expect that they will both put up opening threads soon.

Per my post above, I'm going to delay the start date of The Last Stop to give everyone a chance to focus on their characters in those two games for a bit and to give myself a bit of a break.

Have fun everyone!

Report this post