It is currently Sun May 28, 2017 4:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to Terror Tortellini.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on a lot of content because you can't see it. By joining us, you will have access to these areas and other features as well. Maybe we're talking about you behind your back and you can't see it because you want to be anonymous. I get it; I really do. But come on, being a member means you can add to the conversations. What do you have to lose? Signing up is free. So give it a try and join up.

Post subject: Re: My encounter with sleep paralysis
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:43 pm 
Good news, everyone!

I don't think I've ever experienced it.

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:37 am 
Spook

Had sleep paralysis on a fairly regular basis since I was a kid.

I read on the interwebs that there's a theory that SP can be hereditary. Which is interesting because my dad and brothers have always suffered from it too.

That was reassuring in a way because when I started freaking out about it my dad was able to explain exactly what it was, because he had it too.

But even so, I still friggin hate it. This has been happening to me since I was about 5, and EVERY time it happens, I still HATE it.

Some tips about avoiding it/breaking out of it, from someone that's had it for 21 years or so.

Try to keep your sleeping pattern regular. Messed up sleep patterns and taking naps makes SP more likely.
If you get a "heavy" feeling in your head when you're going asleep or waking up, you're probably going to have an episode of SP. I have no idea why this is, it just is.
Go to sleep and wake up at the same time every day.
Set an alarm. I have never had an episode of SP when I've set an alarm - the alarm jolts you completely awake and there's no time for your waking-up process to get all fucked up.
If you realise you are having an SP episode, try to break the paralysis by moving your extremities, so, your fingers, toes, or head. For some reason I tend to have the most success moving my head, although it must look pretty weird to my boyfriend. Even while deeply asleep, your extremities can still move. Use this peripheral movement to break out of the paralysis. Once you've broken out of the paralysis, STAND UP and get AS FAR AWAY FROM THE BED as you can. If you allow yourself to fall back asleep, you'll be straight back in SP, FACT.

A colleague of mine who suffered from it advocated "going with" the paralysis, and instead of fighting it, trying to remain calm and just go with whatever happens, reminding yourself that nothing can hurt you and you are ok. He said he had some really interesting experiences this way, sorta like lucid dreaming. But I for one think this whole idea is easier said than done.

Oh, and remember SP is perfectly normal and NOT harmful, although it sure feels harmful at the time. It's to do with losing muscle tone while you sleep and then regaining consciousness before your muscle tone is restored. Your brain is basically just doing things the wrong way round for some strange reason.

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:45 am 
King of Tryhards

The brain is fucking retarded, yo.

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:41 am 
Good news, everyone!

Very informative.

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:06 pm 
Spook

This happens to me pretty often. It's usually if I'm napping in the middle of the day, or if I fall asleep somewhere other than my bed, like the living room couch. I always seem to be trapped on my side/stomach with my hair in my face, but maybe that's just how I usually sleep.

I notice that every time it happens, it gets worse. The first time, I just couldn't move, until finally, I could. The next time, I couldn't move and I had weird, vivid hallucinations of having conversations with my step-brother. It was so real I actually had to check with him later to make sure it wasn't real. The NEXT time, I started having the guy-in-the-corner-watching-me dreams. I'm actually terrified of napping now, since the scare-factor seems to be escalating.

The worst part is that I am usually aware of what's happening, but I can never break out of it. And since I can't move to shake it off, I can wake up paralyzed, hallucinate, and then fall back to sleep several times in a cycle before someone finally shakes me. Every time I wake up, I think, "Oh, please, please, please let this be the last one."

balderdashed and mirror-slashed for want of Wonderland.

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:25 am 
Spook

I've experienced it a couple of times. Usually, I don't mind and just lie there, but when it happened last year, I thought that somebody was sitting behind me, moving closer and closer. It was pretty scary. I wanted to turn around, but I was rather afraid to. So I lay there, scared out of my mind, trying to convince myself that it was just sleep paralysis and that I was alone.

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:36 pm 
Creep

Ive been trying to achieve lucid dreaming but I always move and wake up. Plus, I dont like attemping it at night because SP could happen. Too scary. My regular dreams are already disturbing enough.

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:52 pm 
It that betrays

my experiences with lucid dreaming have always been sexy

you thought you'd never shed a tear
so this must astound
it must confound you
buy a ticket for the train
hide in a suitcase if you have to
this ain't no singin in the rain
this is a twister that will destroy you

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 12:21 am 
King of Tryhards

Elaborate

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 12:45 am 
It that betrays

i always end up having an orgasm

so this must astound
it must confound you

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 1:37 am 
King of Tryhards

kinky

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 1:39 am 
It that betrays

BananaCorn wrote:
kinky

5 STAR POST CAPTAIN SHITCAKE

so this must astound
it must confound you

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 1:43 am 
King of Tryhards

I'M SO AWESOME I SHOULD GET BLOWJOBS ON PRINCIPLE

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 3:18 am 
Ghost

I go through this once or twice a month. My "hallucinations" usually involve various important women in my life being taken over by something evil and they are holding me down and morphing into that evil thing before my eyes, or there are inky black shapeless things in the dark, moving around, getting closer. a few times I've been paralyzed but could scream. My wife says it sounds like a low animal moan, and usually I scream when something horrible has happened in the dream, and I could have prevented it but since I'm paralyzed I can't do anything but scream.

the incidents are tapering off as I get older, but in times of stress or when I am sick they pop right back up.
As Lea32er pointed out, trying to move my head often breaks the paralysis, and there have been times where I have been flailing about wildly and screaming but in my dream state I believed I was paralyzed. As she also pointed out, going back to sleep seems to inevitably lead right back to a paralyzed state. rapidly.

Oddly enough, I no longer become terrified or even excited when this happens, and Lea32er's friend's advice seems to apply. if I realize what's going on( if the dream is not too intense), and just stay calm, I drift back into a normal sleep.

.emaN yht eb dewollaH
,nevaeh ni tra hcihw ,rehtaF ruO

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 12:25 pm 
Spook

Scotty wrote:
But why do you only see things that make you scared?

Because of the fear that the paralysis brings on?

I'm pretty sure it's because it's either because the victim is scared or the brain is confused and can't process it and can't make sense of it, so it's almost like going into shock.

One of the two or both.

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 3:22 pm 
It that betrays

For such an amazing and complex organ capable of extremely advanced thought, our brain is pretty fucking retarded sometimes.

"Oh, some of the chemicals I pumped out to keep us from wrecking ourselves in our sleep are still in effect when we woke up and became aware? BETTER PICTURE A FUCKING MONSTER POSING TO ATTACK US BECAUSE I JUST CAN'T MAKE SENSE OF THIS, GUYS."

so this must astound
it must confound you

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:24 pm 
Creep

I have had several episodes of sleep paralysis. I can even recall one very terrifying experience I had when I was 8 or 9 years old (I'm 42 now)..that's how scary it was: so I'm laying in bed, top bed of a bunkbed set, and it's early morning say 4 a.m. or so. My bed was up against a wall that paralleled a long staircase. I "awoke" to the sound of my name being WHISPERED, along with the vision of someone in a dark hooded robe slowly climbing the steps, although I couldn't actually see them of course. I also could not "see" the thing's face, only the hooded robe hanging down over their face as they climbed the steps towards my bedroom.

I don't recall the hooded figure making it to my bedside, but I do remember awaking very terrified. Pretty scary episode for an 8 0r 9 year old I think.

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:30 pm 
Spook

I've never had sleep paralysis, but one of my college roommates experienced it. She said she was lying in bed and heard my phone go off about thirty times, and she wanted to yell at me to turn it off but couldn't speak or move. I pointed out that my phone hadn't rung or received texts at all that morning and we decided it must have been sleep paralysis.

I don't know why she heard a phone ring when the usual reaction seems to be monsters or other visual hallucinations.

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:20 am 
Entity

I actually think that's just a nightmare.

Report this post