It is currently Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to Terror Tortellini.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on a lot of content because you can't see it. By joining us, you will have access to these areas and other features as well. Maybe we're talking about you behind your back and you can't see it because you want to be anonymous. I get it; I really do. But come on, being a member means you can add to the conversations. What do you have to lose? Signing up is free. So give it a try and join up.

Post subject: Re: How I wrote The Origin Of Christmas
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:57 am 
Butthurt

I do a fair bit of planning but not to this extent and it usually depends on story length.

Short 'pastas' are dreamed up in a long process and it usually takes me a day of idle thought to really flesh it out but the actual execution - the writing - is done in about 10 minutes, usually on the forum itself. It's then copy-pasted into word, spellchecked and edited. I might cut out 2-3 paragraphs or remove entire characters but essentially it's a very quick process.

Longer stories - my Fairfield stuff usually - take a little bit of planning. I do this the same way I would plan an essay or newspaper article; I divide it into paragraphs. Each paragraph has to cover a specific area of the story that I would like to make clear to the audience and then I consider what to add in terms of imagery and character in order to make it read just a little bit better. Unfortunately this isn't the best way to do things, often the natural flow will bounce between each paragraph or an entire paragraph will become one poignant sentence.

I do, however, swear by the Four Ps - Premise, Plot, Person and Purpose - and no matter how long it takes me to write the story, I always consider each when the idea first springs to mind.

Report this post