It is currently Sun May 28, 2017 12:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to Terror Tortellini.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on a lot of content because you can't see it. By joining us, you will have access to these areas and other features as well. Maybe we're talking about you behind your back and you can't see it because you want to be anonymous. I get it; I really do. But come on, being a member means you can add to the conversations. What do you have to lose? Signing up is free. So give it a try and join up.

Post subject: Horror Movies
PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:16 pm 
Ghost

First of all, I may have missed something, but is there really not a thread for this?

Anyway, if not, allow me to start one. My sole reason for doing so is a movie I watched on Netflix last night called The Theater Bizarre. It's kind of a B-film (or so the unassuming might think at the outset) that starts with a girl who is drawn to an abandoned stage theater. Once inside, she notices that no one is there except for a sparse number of mannequins which happen to be sitting in the seats.

A mechanical dummy in the size and shape of a man pops up in a sudden spotlight and begins to tell her stories which are actually short films. There are six of them. These films, for the most part, are genuinely terrifying and not to be underestimated and associated with the rest of Netflix's drivel. One of them is even directed by Tom Savini and once you see it, you'll know without needing to read credits.

I'm not usually disturbed or scared by the medium of film because of how low my expectations have become regarding its production quality and fidelity to the real world, but there is one short film in this movie called Sweets which ironically made me squirm in my skin. I say "ironically" because of the fact that it is so surreal. It actually seems like something out of a David Lynch film (and that is probably the reason why it disturbed me so). It begins with a fat, desperate man sitting on a couch in a room full of junk food and candy, beseeching his girlfriend who sits opposite him on another couch across a coffee table, eating ice cream, not to leave him.

From there, the director shows acid-colored flashbacks of the couple, grotesquely devouring a myriad of creams, pies, and lollipops. They stuff their faces and create sounds with their mouths that awaken the bilge in the viewer's stomach and nearly cause a geyser of puke to eject from the mouth. I am not joking.

But the most horrific part is at the end, and I will not share this with you, because I feel that you must watch it on your own in a very dark, very vacant room, far beyond the safety of the hours prior to midnight. It will make you wish you could sink into the cushions of your couch and hide, but there will be no relief (Also, if you were raised with any manner of Christianity, you will be especially petrified at the very last scene. I've never seen holy perversion done so well.)

The main story surrounding these vignettes will progress between each short and, as the plot develops, you will start to notice a change between the girl watching the show and the mannequin man hosting it. I won't say anymore, but for the love of god:

If you are a fan of creepypasta, I insist that you watch this. For something so little known, it's a masterpiece of the genre.

Report this post

Post subject: Re: Horror Movies
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:56 pm 
Dragonfly

So do you want us to recommend you films, or simply discuss good horror movies?

Anyways, if any film has made me really terrified while watching it (recently), that would be Kiyoshi Kurosawa's Pulse. Streaming on Netflix, it's a mandatory watch for fans of ghost movies and also as much a work of art as it is a really damn spooky bit of classic J-horror.

I've passed Theater of Bizarre a few times in my recommendations, it looks quite good. Given your hype for it I'll be sure to check it out soon.

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:28 pm 
Cool and Spicy

Whatever you do, avoid the American remake of Pulse/Kairo. It's genuinely top percentile abysmal among abysmal j-horror remakes.

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:43 pm 
Ghost

I feel the same way about The Ring. I'll have to check out the original Pulse, then.

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:47 pm 
Ghost

Speaking of vignette films, who here has seen V/H/S? it's also on Netflix and I found it to be fucking amazing. The stories in it actually are creepypasta, basically. It's pure nightmare fuel and I guarantee every single person in this forum would relish it.

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:00 pm 
Entity

We livestreamed it a couple weeks ago (maybe it was sooner than that; my perception of time can be way off) and everybody seemed to have enjoyed it, except for two of the short films and only because they were kind of weak in comparison to the others.

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:18 pm 
Cool and Spicy

I actually think of The Ring as the only of that general batch of j-horror americanizations that does some stuff better than the original. The original had a few blatantly better scares, stuff like the image of the man with the sheet over his head or the seaside scenes, but the remake handled the eerie flashbacks and overall atmosphere much better, at least as far as the visuals/sound go. Ringu did some stuff where they'd toss in dissonant noise where I felt it didn't really belong, took you out of it where The Ring just gave you the perfect sort of static hum to build things up. Remake has a lot of odd vestigial flaws, though, while it ties the story together well, it leaves a lot of excess that detracts from the whole, stuff like making the opening scene even more cheese on purpose and throwing in five minutes of a horse rampaging on a boat to try and spook you. They're both real quality acts, though, favorites of mine.

The Ring 2, now THERE'S a godawful movie.

Generally three tiers in my mind when it comes to those things. Matches/Surpasses (The Ring, not much else), Hits A Few Right Notes (the first Ju-On remake), and Totally Misses The Point (Pulse, Shutter, etc.). Pretty obvious where most of them lie.

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:02 pm 
Ghost

Anyone ever seen that movie, Junk, then? I never actually watched it, but I know it has something to do with Japanese cannibals because, when I was a kid, I would read Fangoria in the grocery store and that one movie's screenshots really stuck with me.

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:53 pm 
Dragonfly

PulledTeeth wrote:
Speaking of vignette films, who here has seen V/H/S? it's also on Netflix and I found it to be fucking amazing. The stories in it actually are creepypasta, basically. It's pure nightmare fuel and I guarantee every single person in this forum would relish it.

I enjoyed it, for the most part. Ti West's segment was very good, but I tend to like anything he does (speaking of which, has anyone seen The Innkeepers or House of the Devil?). The Succubi and slasher segments were a little OTT for me, but otherwise it was a good movie.

Also, to other J-horror fans as well as people who enjoy anthology films, I would recommend Three Extremes (also on Netflix). Made up of three short works from three East Asian countries, it includes a piece from Audition director Takashi Miike and Oldboy director Chan-wook Park. Most of you have probably seen it, but if you haven't make sure you do.

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 1:14 pm 
Ghost

While it's not as much horror, as it is sci fi, I've seen Invasion Earth as a child, I've managed to watch it again only recently. I remember being dazzled by this movie back then, mostly because of its sheer insanity. It had giant people, spiders, birds, krakens, aliens etc, so in that age I couldn't not to be dazzled it as a whole, although its wraparound story really disappointed me.

Now, I can say that it's one of the most uncreative things, like, ever. You can't even call it a film, because there's not much of the original material. The whole plot is that some aliens (their leader looks like Krang from Ninja Turtles, only with a freudian elephant's truck, the others are just green guys with antennae) want to conquer the Earth by showing people some 50's movies about monsters and aliens. The parts of these films actually make most of this movie. The only original part is cheap, and ends abruptly, basically, there's no ending at all.

The interesting thing is that, there are some comments by this film's former stars on youtube. Apparently, these were the only people who wanted to watch it again.

I wouldn't recommend this movie to anyone, I just wanted to know if anyone else has seen it.

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 4:13 pm 
Ghost

I haven't seen it, but it reminds me of Mars Attacks! which, while meant to be a comedy, has a very creepy undertone in my opinion. I watched it high once and really got to thinking about what it would be like if an alien invasion happened and I suddenly couldn't bear to be near any windows out of fear that they were watching me as I sat in my living room.

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 5:18 pm 
Unlimited Blade Works

K-horror film, Voices. It's not terrible. Give it a try.

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 6:56 pm 
Cool and Spicy

Speaking of k-horror, anyone remember that hilariously bad Tale of Two Sister's US remake they did?

Report this post

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 5:22 am 
Spook

CheshireStray wrote:
Speaking of k-horror, anyone remember that hilariously bad Tale of Two Sister's US remake they did?

HAHA Are you talking about The Uninvited? I literally did not realize that I was watching a remake until the scene with the blood trail leading to the dumpster.

It was at that point I realized there were too many similarities to Tale of Two Sisters for it not to be a remake, but it was so disappointing!

The story choices they made with the stepmom character in the US version ruined the original premise, I think :[

As for great Netflix horror (lol) I really loved Black Ghost/White Ghost, the 10 year anniversary Ju-On tribute movie. Worth checking out if you're into the Grudge series

Report this post

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 11:22 pm 
Dragonfly

Netflix just uploaded the original-ish (the Japanese language remake from 2002) Ju-on. The American version kind of blows, but I plan to watch it soon anyways.

I almost bought A Tale of Two Sisters the other day.. I'm starting to regret not getting it.

Report this post

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 11:30 pm 
Cool and Spicy

It's a decent flick, but it's definitely the sort of movie where all the merit/impact is in the twists. If you already know, or like a movie you can watch to the same effect over and over, you probably aren't missing that much.

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 10:53 am 
Dragonfly

I might skip that one then.

I watched The Host last night, more of an action-drama with some horror elements (although still pretty frightening at times). Recommended.

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 5:50 am 
Ghost

Am I the only one here who thinks Dead Silence is the best classic-plotted horror movie ever?

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:46 pm 
Entity

I agree with Ches about The Ring. I like Dead Silence to some extent but the screaming thing is kind of dumb.

On the subject of recent films HOLY **** is Cabin in the Woods overrated. Not funny at all, characters not interesting or human, the excuse that it's a deconstruction of the genre doesn't fucking work to fix that issue because the deconstruction requires its own internal "realism" which just doesn't exist. The fact that
Spoiler:
"it's all a set up" doesn't explain why all the characters constantly act like complete morons.

What this actually is is Joss at his worst. In Dollhouse he started to get further and further up his own *** about manipulating young people and putting them into "roles" and how that made him feel sad/feel evil. Now he's whining about making horror movies.

He really needs to get back to reality and stop writing about himself and his life and get back to writing entertaining characters who deliver snappy, fun dialogue.

Report this post