It is currently Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to Terror Tortellini.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on a lot of content because you can't see it. By joining us, you will have access to these areas and other features as well. Maybe we're talking about you behind your back and you can't see it because you want to be anonymous. I get it; I really do. But come on, being a member means you can add to the conversations. What do you have to lose? Signing up is free. So give it a try and join up.

Post subject: Ashfield brainstorming contest.
PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:04 pm 
Entity

In an effort to revive the dying Fairfield Mythos and breathe some new life into it, I've decided to do a number of things (most of which won't be explained yet). First off, just as the title of this thread suggests, there is going to be a contest. A bit different from other ones: This is going to be a brainstorming contest. Entries will be ideas for what to do with Fairfield. What direction or potential goal should the Architects / writers of the project be aiming for.

Naturally, any story that is already posted should be considered canon, and I'd like to see the ideas fit within the general theme, but if the idea is good enough and everybody likes it, I'm willing to push the envelope a bit. But you can include all sorts of things for your entries like plot, story formats, town maps, character pieces, etc, etc. We will try to make it work.

Anyway. Here are the rules:

1. It begins today and lasts until May 30th. Entries submitted after May 31st will not count. You have been warned (again).

2. Your entry goes into this thread. If you post your idea somewhere else and link it to this thread, you are doing things wrong and you should feel bad.

3. The winner will be voted on by all of you. Everybody is encouraged to send me their vote via private message (when the time comes). You can only vote once, and if you have an entry in the contest, you cannot vote for your own.

4. The winner of the contest gets such prizes as: The obligatory month-long color name of your choice, the special rank of "Mayor of Fairfield" (if you want it), and you get to be involved in the Fairfield project in whatever capacity you choose (other than usurping my position).

That is all. Enjoy.

P.S. When the contest is over, there will be an open audition for new Architects. If you're willing to be a steady writer for the project and can work with whatever idea wins the contest, you can try your hand at joining. However, I'm also going to take story submissions from writers who aren't Architects and just want to contribute a story or two to help out. More on this stuff when the contest is over, though.

Report this post

Post subject: Re: Fairfield brainstorming contest.
PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:16 am 
Ghost

I just came up with this concept (rather postmodern of me, if I do say so, myself) of a guy named Tom who is relatively anti-social, but spends a lot of time on a forum (not unlike this one). He lives in Fairfield and has been documenting a somewhat harrowing experience. I won't say what it is, because I want people to enjoy the plot for the first time if/when they read the story, as I've already written the majority of it, but it's all recorded in a hastily written .txt file. One thing I will reveal (hoping I haven't missed an important plot point) is that this .txt file is later salvaged by Sgt. Del Woods, who includes it in a report that will wrap around my original story.

Vaughn, I want to send the story to you along with general notes on how I imagine Del becoming privy to the occurrence. I think it would be cool if you and I collaborated on this, you writing Del's report and interpretation of the events described in the .txt along with what he finds when he arrives at the scene first-hand.

I hope this is getting you people randy.

Report this post

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:22 am 
Ghost

But there is a general direction that I meant to underline more in my original post. What I'm proposing is the use of this forum by several other characters in the mythos. They don't necessarily have to be from Fairfield, but they can be drawn to it or exposed to it by way of the forum, which will act as a gateway to the sinister underbelly of the town.

I thought the idea was fascinating since it's self-reflexive. It makes me think of how Stephen King eventually added himself as a character in the Dark Tower series (I hope I didn't spoil too much, there, by the way). I'm not saying that there should be actual people from this forum in the storyline, but if you think about it, having a facet of Fairfield be that it involves (ambiguously) fans of creepypasta is a new way of looking at the whole genre:

Creepypasta that talks about creepypasta, and then the transcendence into the reality of the fiction that is Fairfield. In time, if people agree that this is a good idea and should be expanded, you will realize that it is fucking with your head.

Report this post

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:30 pm 
Entity

I am interested in the metafictional aspect of the idea, especially I've been using a similar concept in my own private works recently, but I'm not sure how the idea could be utilized in a practical sense just yet.

However, like I said, I am interested and I am glad somebody got the ball rolling already.

Report this post

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:43 pm 
Ghost

Well, I figured it could be a really straightforward vignette type of thing. Just a little web of "stories from the forum" that pop up from time to time in the overall canon. And technically, it would still be purely fiction. All of the members of the forum, along with the forum itself, would be a complete fabrication meant to augment the plot. It's not meant to be a focal point, but I feel it would lend some reality to the world and make it hit closer to home, because anyone who reads Fairfield or creepypasta in general will be able to relate. Also, I just really like the idea of horrible things being uncovered by way of a forum conversation (a la Candle Cove).

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:09 am 
Spook

Perhaps you could give us a Cliff's Notes version of the Fairfield Mythos?

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:49 pm 
Entity

Spooky town.

Read it.

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:37 pm 
Entity

Yeah. Pretty much what Bears says. It's kind of hard to do a Cliff's Notes version of so many stories. It's a bit overwhelming at first, but if you read it in chunks at a time, it won't be as tough to get through.

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:20 pm 
Phantasm

If you read it by author, it'll take you about three days or so to read it. Unless you've got a stronger attention span. Then a lot less.

Am I Sane?

Am I insane?

Come on, shoot faster,
Just a little bit of energy!
I wanna try something fun right now,
I guess some people call it anarchy!

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:44 am 
Ghost

PulledTeeth wrote:
It makes me think of how Stephen King eventually added himself as a character in the Dark Tower series (I hope I didn't spoil too much, there, by the way).

PulledTeeth wrote:
It makes me think of how Stephen King eventually added himself as a character in the Dark Tower series (I hope I didn't spoil too much, there, by the way).

PulledTeeth wrote:

O.O *Drops the The Drawing of the Three book held* <-Serious with the book, though. Cannot be unseen.

Anyways, where can I find something about the Fairfield Mythos for starters? Never heard of it until here. I don't think this is for new people:
http://fairfieldproject.wikidot.com/human-mythos-relationships
I'm looking for, like an overview or something.

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:44 am 
Phantasm

There isn't one actually. You'll have to take a weekend off or so and actually sit down and read it. The stories aren't that long. There's just a lot of them.

Am I Sane?

Am I insane?

Come on, shoot faster,
Just a little bit of energy!
I wanna try something fun right now,
I guess some people call it anarchy!

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:33 am 
Entity

Once again I am starting to regret sticking with the name "Fairfield"

That wiki has nothing to do with this forum's Fairfield project. To read the stuff from our Fairfield, you go here. You know, to the section of the forum labeled "Fairfield" of all things.

This whole fucking thing is giving me a headache and an ulcer.

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:48 pm 
Ghost

Oh, sorry bout that. Didn't know it was kinda exclusive here in the forums. Thanks.

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:59 pm 
The Snow Witch of the Mountain Pass

Vaughn, maybe it's time to think of another name for the town? I know that it'd be a pain in the *** to go through and edit. I'd be more than happy to help with that.

As far as the stories and the idea, I love it. It's great, and I would love to see what you guys can do with it. If I were a better writer, and had the ability to churn out the great stories you guys have, I'd love to do more.

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 1:18 am 
Unlimited Blade Works

Personally, I think you should stick with Fairfield. Normal name, for a slightly abnormal town.

Spoiler:
>Vaughn disagrees with the name Fairfield
>But its the name of a real town
>Overman disagrees
>Call it Confidence
>Confidence is another town name
>Epic speeches of beliefs
>Admins throw down
>STANDING HERE
>I REALIZE
>YOU'RE JUST LIKE ME...
>Errybody loses

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 6:34 am 
Entity

In all honesty, if it wasn't for the fact that other people's work is involved and there are some few fans of the project, I would've just thrown the whole damned thing away a long time ago. Scotty was supposed to take over the entire thing back in January, but he's off being busy with the whole school teacher thing (which sounds like a rough job, so I don't blame him for miscalculating that).

I'm trying to pump some new life into this project, but it feels like a tumor that's just sitting there, not really malignant but not really benign either. So if you people want this to work, you have to work with me (except you, Overman; you have other **** to worry about instead). I can't do everything by myself.

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 6:39 am 
Entity

Oh right. And yes. I am willing to do a name change as the current one is causing some irritations (sorry, Bears). Editing the name in the stories would be a sort of pain in the ***, but it would save us a lot of trouble.

"Confidence" isn't an option. I'm still using that for something else.

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 10:05 am 
Ghost

Indigo Point

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 11:01 am 
Entity

It should be something simple, innocuous, and evokes the idea that this could be a town you might happen to find anywhere in the US (anywhere that happens to be near a forest, that is). Once we settle on a new name, I'm even going to edit out the parts where it says what state the town is in.

This is turning into more of a project discussion thread than a contest, but that's okay. Somebody will eventually win something if the discussion stays good.

Report this post