It is currently Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to Terror Tortellini.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on a lot of content because you can't see it. By joining us, you will have access to these areas and other features as well. Maybe we're talking about you behind your back and you can't see it because you want to be anonymous. I get it; I really do. But come on, being a member means you can add to the conversations. What do you have to lose? Signing up is free. So give it a try and join up.

Post subject: April 2012 New Game Pitch Thread
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:18 pm 
Entity

There's a good chance that DB will end sometime within April or soon thereafter, which means it's time to talk about a new RP!

Please only post if you are serious about the work and time it takes to run an RP, rather than getting people excited about stuff that you haven't gotten out of the planning stages yet. Remember that this isn't your last chance, there will be plenty of time for the next one.

In like a week or so, I'll put all of the nominations in a poll, or several polls, or something.

Report this post

Post subject: Re: April 2012 New Game Pitch Thread
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:24 am 
Entity

Possible story concept:

The Last Stop
Player characters are a mix of average citizens who wake up at a train station in an abandoned town. Bad, supernatural things start happening. Think Silent Hill.

Players/Characters: players will be expected to do a fair bit of work developing both the characters and their possible dark secrets, repressed memories, guilty thoughts, etc., etc. This is a personal horror story, so you will work with the GM (me) to develop your character's story.

PVP: Player interaction is possible, but not the focus.

Lethality: This is a horror story, and some of the character's stories will end with their death. Death isn't certain and isn't on a time table (once per week, for example).

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:29 am 
It that betrays

i think i'd jump in on that

you thought you'd never shed a tear
so this must astound
it must confound you
buy a ticket for the train
hide in a suitcase if you have to
this ain't no singin in the rain
this is a twister that will destroy you

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:35 am 
Queen Orgasma

I had a game idea, but it's just an idea, still.

The main story is that the players are tenants in a newly renovated building, which used to be a dorm for a nearby medical research facility, and then zombies.

Yeah, idk.

Krypto's game sounds way better

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:36 am 
Made of Glass

I do really like the idea of a personal horror thing.

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:18 am 
Phantasm

I'd like to do a roleplay dealing with the idea of the Singularity (the joining of the human race with machines). I think there would be a Matrix-like element to it, with the players in a sort of resistance. It's a vague idea, but if anybody's interested I would love to expand and elaborate.

I think there would be an element of personal horror, but also AHHH EVIL MACHINES ATTACKING stuff, too.

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:33 pm 
Entity

After the Matrix sequels failed horribly I sketched out a concept for "my" Matrix sequels, so some of those ideas might work with this: basically in my version, it's 5 years after the events of Matrix 1 and in the Matrix, mass suicides are becoming common as more and more people leave the Matrix and Neo is basically viewed as the messianic leader of a death cult.

Whole servers have been taken offline and there's actually a semi-functional human civilization starting to form in the outside world - the machines turn out to be not at all combat ready there, and are basically just fighting defensively.

In the Matrix, a extremest faction takes over among the AI which supports a "reboot protocol" of eliminating all rebels and sympathizers using older code from previous versions of the Matrix. It turns out that the reason people have legends and magic and whatnot in history is because the rules of the universe used to be different, so the older AI basically brings back banned, program breaking AI enforces to deal with Neo and his superusers, essentially monsters, demigods, etc replace the standard Agents.

Many battles are fought in the Matrix, with Neo gradually gaining an upper hand, while on the outside, the humans are pushing deeper and deeper into the Machine controlled areas and toward the surface, however when they reach the surface, they learn that the planet they're on isn't the burnt-out wasteland they were told to expect, it's like a prehistoric jungle.

We then get to THE BIG REVEAL

Spoiler:
Basically that all of what we know as human history is a program which has been running for hundreds of thousands of years, which the machines basically think was probably based on something real, but even they don't know information on the 'real' earth history and all of that was lost ages ago. Also, the AIs don't use the humans for fuel, their only function is to preserve and control the humans, since they think that allowing them to live in the "real world" would be too dangerous and traumatic, but that they also wanted them to grow, and by allowing them to grow, they ended up allowing some to escape, which became the resistance. At this point most of the AI just gives up trying to contain humans and wants to work with them, however a small rogue faction decides to destroy them from the outside so they can restart the whole program, and there's a final climactic battle between humans and their AI allies on the surface of the world, and in the Matrix as they try to bring down the evil AI from within.

Anyway just some ideas I had about The Matrix - I would have to hear more about what kind of framework you're thinking about for a story to know if I think I could contribute - I am a fan of cyberpunk, so I would probably be interested but I'm not sure exactly what you're thinking about as a setting/story.

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:18 pm 
Eater of Fresh Oranges

amommynoose wrote:
I'd like to do a roleplay dealing with the idea of the Singularity (the joining of the human race with machines). I think there would be a Matrix-like element to it, with the players in a sort of resistance. It's a vague idea, but if anybody's interested I would love to expand and elaborate.

I think there would be an element of personal horror, but also AHHH EVIL MACHINES ATTACKING stuff, too.

Ever read Dresden Codak?
This has serious potential as an RP.

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:34 pm 
Eater of Fresh Oranges

Double post because I can't stop running my mouth.

What if we did a zombie RP where the dead players became zombies, working against the rest of the living players? Rather than having the monsters be solely or even mostly GM-controlled, it might give the GM less responsibility; more of a referee than a storyteller.

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:47 pm 
Entity

I do like that idea, though of course we'd have to do pretty robust PVP rules for it - maybe a monster other than zombies since their combat options tend to be kind of boring, maybe like feral humans like the creatures in 28 days?

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:51 pm 
Eater of Fresh Oranges

Yeah, or like the ones in I Am Legend-- hell, they could even be ghosts or whatever.

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:54 pm 
Entity

Ghosts has a lot of potential if we could figure out a way to set up the "ghost rules" to make the combat asymmetrical but balanced.

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:56 pm 
Entity

I actually have some zombie material of my own that would make this possible. I put it together for a series of zombie stories I want to write, but it could help here. I can send it to whoever wants to see it.

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:16 pm 
Entity

I'd love to see that, yeah.

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:52 pm 
Entity

Oh right. I sent you a private message, Krypto.

Report this post

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:17 pm 
Entity

So, I have one. It'll probably be a short game.

Lovecraft in Brooklyn

The player characters all live in New York City. One morning, they all wake up in an abandoned building. Blindfolded, gagged, and tied to chairs, they can only hear the voice telling them that they have been chosen at random to participate in an experiment. The players will hear a click as bomb collars are strapped around their arms, as the voice drones on about the rules.

-Players will be given a set of objectives to complete each week.
-Each objective a player completes will earn them one point.
-The player with the lowest number of points each week will die.
-Objectives will intertwine between players.
-Objectives can be anything from "Go to the store and pick up groceries" to "solve this riddle" to "Kill player X."

The voice stops, and the players wake up in their own beds.

Their phones read "1 new message."

Players/Characters: Character development is, of course, recommended. It's always nice to have a reason behind your actions other than "I want to survive." Bonus points MAY be given out for creative and reasonable characters. Unreasonable characters (ex. Delphine) will be subject to penalties ranging from mundane to extreme, depending on the absurdity of the character.

PVP: PVP is very likely to occur each week. I'd be astonished if it didn't. At least one PM per week will include a PVP action. It's up to the individual player character to decide if they want to take it or not.

Lethality: At minimum, one player will die each week. Depending on whether PVP action is taken, up to three per week can die. There will also be NPCs (both human and non) to fight.

Report this post

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:39 pm 
Internal Affairs

Space game!
There will be three 'adventures' with a 'pit stop' after each, including a final stop at the end.
Characters awake from a cryogenic sleep on an unfamiliar space cruiser. "Where am I?" they say. Or possibly, "Have they already found a cure to my disease?" Or even, "Oh boy, I'm in the future!"
Your characters may have been asleep for a day, or could have been frozen in what would be considered present day for us. However, they have been stolen from the cryogenic facility where they were being kept by a band of 'body harvesters' seeking cheap labor(read: slave labor). Thus, the adventure begins!
Chapter 1: The Space Hulk
You run across a space hulk(a bunch of space shit that's smashed together. They can be the size of a small satellite to a planet). Space hulks are known to have treasure on them, or at the very least, technology that's been outlawed and is worth a fortune on the black market. But they often have inhabitants, as well...
Chapter 2: Privateers!
Body harvesting is extremely illegal, and there's a huge bounty on most body harvesters' heads. However, if they catch a known body harvester, a privateer doesn't necessarily have to turn in the people that have been 'harvested'. And privateers aren't known for their morals.
Chapter 3: Misery
Two words: rogue AI. You're on your way back to Ourea, what's considered the capitol of this star cluster, in order to get yourself together/find whatever family you have left. However, the ship remembers what it's like to be lonely. Won't you stay just a bit longer?

Players/Characters: If you put effort into your character, you'll get a lot more out of this game. It's not a game of personal terrors(except maybe in Ch. 1, depending on which way you turn), but having goals and aspirations will help guide your choices and make interpersonal relations more interesting. Interesting characters are fun, but there needs to be at least some level-headedness or else you're all going to die. Horribly.
PVP: PVP becomes a lot less likely as you progress through the chapters, and by Ch. 3 it's not recommended at all. You'll have plenty of androids and space goblins to shoot full of holes, but unless you decide you hate each other, there's not a lot of reason to turn against your fellow adventurers. I'll be using a percentile system to figure out the effectiveness of each attack, if it's not obvious.
Lethality: You're only going to die if you do something dumb. Or if you get shot too many times. Yes, people are going to try to kill you, but this is about adventuring. You can't adventure if you're dead, so I'm not going to be going out of my way to kill you.

Option: Psykers. You can do all kinds of neat tricks using brainpower, however every time you do so, I will roll a die against a chart. If you fail the roll, something bad will happen, and I roll again. If you crit fail, something very bad will happen, and I roll again. If you crit fail one roll and fail the other, you lose your sanity. If you crit fail twice... I'll see what I can do.

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:37 am 
Entity

Hey everyone, try to get your pitches in by next Friday, as I am planning on putting up the poll at that time.

At this time I'm planning on allowing everyone to vote for multiple games.

You can vote for as many of the games as you want to play during the next session, but you should only vote for as many games as you'd really be willing to play at the same time, in addition, if you're running a game, you shouldn't vote for any games unless you're willing to run your game and play in another one (or more) at the same time.

It'll be up to the storytellers to decide if they want to run their games based on the number of players that sign up, so again please don't sign up for a game you're not willing to play, so the storyteller can make an informed decision about if they want to run the game with the number of players they have.

So far I have:

The Last Stop
By: Kryptography

Untitled Technologic Singularity Game
By: Moose

Unnamed Zombie Game
By: Beefpop (w/possible help from Krypto and or Vaughn)

Lovecraft in Brooklyn
By: 16bearswutIdo

Space Game!
By: aSmallGreenBug

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:09 am 
King of Tryhards

I'd be really keen to have a go at Bears' game.

Report this post